vaillant sine vcw 18T3WFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler doesn't fire up. Suddenly stopped working.
Pilot light is on; Electrics seem 'on'; Room thermostat clicks and I can hear the solonoid click above pump; pump seems free to rotate. It has been squeaking on start up recently but runs quiet within 2-3secs. Pressure 1.5bar.
I have just finished refitting cabinets having sorted a leaking pressure vessel problem and did accidentally press green or red buttton. What do these do?
I have seen other posts requesting a link to where a manual for this model could be viewed. I have found one on this site but my model was not listed. It would be very helpful if I could consult one. Are there any other sources?

Sponsored Links
accidentally press green or red buttton. What do these do?

make sure they have come back out all the way :idea:

I have seen other posts requesting a link to where a manual for this model could be viewed. I have found one on this site but my model was not listed. It would be very helpful if I could consult one. Are there any other sources?

e mail adress would be handy :idea: :idea:

my email is (see profile)

thanks.

:)

I've found out the green is for re-lighting but what does the red one do?
I'll have to check tomorrow if they are fully out.

Sponsored Links
remove your email address and put it in your profile

unless you want the bank of uganda emailing you some lovely offers ;)

the sine 18 is very susceptable to air locks, as the system been drained or rad removed ? also there is a overheat cut out button on the right hand side of the control box near the back.

There are switches behind the green button which can get dirty.

Resetting the green button might recontact these if thats the problem.

There is also a mechanical bit that can get stuck.

This boiler is 20+ years old and over due for replacement. They are quite repairable by those few who understand them.

Tony

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I went and checked the red button position and it is fully out, as is the green button. However, bearing in mind the 'mechinical bits that can get sticky' I think I'll check behind the face plate.

The boiler was installed 1983. It looks in excellent condition and I thought I'd stick with it before investing in £800 of replacement excluding any labour etc. I expect it is not as efficient in its heat exchange unit compared to modern ones but it would have to save over £80-100 per year to just break even. However, if repairs are going to be expensive then the equation changes.

Air locks???......I've just fitted 6 new TVR's so the system has had some drain down but not more than a bucket. I have refilled the system and bled the rads where I can and very little air came out. (I switched the valves off and tipped the rads to allow for easy fitting of TVRs). I haven't touched the pressure vessel as I had previously done this and I assumed the pressure would remain okay. Perhaps this is not the case? Should I re-do this? ie; drain down, pump up and re-fill?

Now you tell us you depressurised the boiler!

It could well have been air in the boiler or someone turned on a hot tap while there was no pressure.

The overheat stat has possibly tripped! Thats in a rubber boot to the back right of the diecast box containing the PCBs. You need to push it it. It can just be done with a smaller hand or with a stiff bar or large screwdriver.

DO NOT drain it yet again! I have no idea why people want to do that when they have air in a system but I see it over and over again! The whole idea is to get the air OUT not fill it up with air!

Tony

yes, I did turn on the hot tap while there was no pressure!

I'll get on to it this evening and follow your 'repair' directions'

Thanks

I've been and done it!
Wow, quick press and relight the pilot light and off she went with no squeaky pump, at present.

Thank you, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back