Vaillant system boiler losing pressure (but doesn't appear to be a leak)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Vaillant system boiler (ecoTec plus 637). It's around 12 years old and has been maintained. We've just been away for a couple of weeks so, keen not to burn gas unnecessarily, I set all the zone thermostats/timers (hot water, 2 x radiators, underfloor heating) to off/frost protection.

I came back and the boiler had lost pressure so I repressurised. However, it was immediately strange. I probably have to correct from 0.9 bar back to 1.2 bar once or twice a year, and that normally takes a fair amount of time with the filling loop, Today, it almost instantly shot up to 3bar - I drained about 10cm in the bottom of a bucket out of a radiator to get it back down to 2.5 bar. That seems very little.

Slowly, over the day, it has depressurised again and - again - it's taken very little to get the pressure up.

While it's running all radiators appear to heating up nicely, as does the hot water. I have checked every radiator and can see no sign of any leaks. I've not changed the system recently or done anything else that could prang a pipe. No sign of damp patches anywhere.

I am thinking there is some sort of boiler issue rather than a plumbing break. The rapid rise in pressure when I open the filling loop suggests something is blocked?

(obviosuly, if it is a boiler issue I'll be getting a GasSafe engineer in.)

Any ideas?

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Looks like the expansion vessel needs attention. Does the pressure rise rapidly when system heats up, if so and it reaches +3bar then a (pressure relief valve), PRV, will release some water.

Thanks.

No, it doesn't seem to. I was assuming expansion vessel (there are two on the system, I think - one for the unvented how water cylinder and one in the boiler; the latter would be suspect here?) but the fact that the pressure doesn't just shoot through the roof as soon as the heating goes on confuses me. I should go and check the safety discharge pipe ...

Ahh, yes, that's dripping.

Ok, thanks everyone - time to call in the gas engineer, internal expansion vessel needs some love!

Sponsored Links
Also the PRV will need renewing if its passing at any pressure < say 2.7/2.8 bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back