Vaillant Turbomax 828e Combi- Control panel no lights on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Yesterday my lovely little boiler was happy but not today. No heating or hot water.

It normally makes little intermittent noises even when heating and hot water is off so I can tell it's still on (fired up) but today it's quiet as a mouse.

I have a small book that tells me how to programme it but that doesnt have info on the control panel in the middle. i.e. the one with the lcd display with 3 light indicators underneath then 4 buttons.

The lcd display shows nothing , none of the indicator lights are on.

I'm presuming the pilot light is out but i dont know how to get it going again. I tried pressing the button with the picture of a flame with a cross through it. hoping that was the pilot light ignition. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Or perhaps something else is wrong

Tried the following with no joy
- turned pressure switch so that pressure was already in range (it already was , approx half way in green zone so i added a little extra just in case)
- turned it off and on again

Oh and it's 9 years old.

Any advice greatly welcomed. But you'll have to spell it out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
check the fuse first :idea:

btw the 828e is the turbomax plus ;)

can't believe you replied when you are all that way across the water in the states. :D

Right the fuse. I'm hoping you mean the white box that has an on off switch and a bit with "fuse" written over it, and has a white electicity cable coming out of it running to the boiler. Or is there something else within the main boiler that i should be looking at.

Also should i turn the electricity off first?

And as I have an enquiring mind if it is the fuse why would it go? Is it likely to be an indicator of something else?

Right i've checked that it's on and changed the fuse.

But no joy

Indicator lights and lcd above are still off.

Sponsored Links
There are two places for you to check. The consumer unit ( fusebox ) and the switched fused spur close to the boiler.

Apart from those checks I dont think there is anything else you can do without test equipment so it might then be a time to get a man in.

Tony

There are two places for you to check. The consumer unit ( fusebox ) and the switched fused spur close to the boiler.

Apart from those checks I dont think there is anything else you can do without test equipment so it might then be a time to get a man in.

Tony

Ok so i'd already replaced the fuse in the spur thing by the boiler. And that didn't do it.

Then i went and had a look at my fusebox, and all the little wires in there seem ok. Flipped all the on off switches. Tried again with boiler but it is still ignoring me.

Did i say that the programme panel lcd is on, just not the one above the indicator lights.

there are 2 fuses on the pcb inside the boiler if you think your up to it

turn the power off first :idea:

the spares are inside the back cover

I think i know my limits. It hasn't had a service since i bought it 9 years ago, though i had every intention in doing so. So i'll get the guy who installed it to come out and do a service.

Thanks to both of you lovely men for replying

You did not explain that the programmer display is still showing. However, I think that has a battery backup which runs the display for about a day or so.

So that does not indicate anything.

I presume the boiler panel on/off switch is in the operate position? Probably marked as "I" for on.

Tony

You did not explain that the programmer display is still showing. However, I think that has a battery backup which runs the display for about a day or so.

So that does not indicate anything.

I presume the boiler panel on/off switch is in the operate position? Probably marked as "I" for on.

Tony

Generally i've been turning it all off and on again. Particularly the switch you mention.

I'm going to call the installer now. he can service it too which it really needs. I wonder what it's going to be and how much it's likely to be!!

Then i'm going to get a shower at my parents and my usual sunday dinner. Yum

Thanks guys for all your help.

I hope your installer is still alive after the nine since he fitted your boiler.

Two of my colleagues in our association have died this year out of about 50.

Tony

I hope your installer is still alive after the nine since he fitted your boiler.

Two of my colleagues in our association have died this year out of about 50.

Tony

Thats what happens after reading too many of your posts :eek: :LOL:

Sorry, that was a mistake!

It was THREE who have died this year!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back