Vaillant Turbomax Plus no hot water - ignition problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a search but couldn't find anything exactly like this problem, any ideas please?

Our Vaillant Turbomax Plus boiler developed a problem where hot water does not appear.

On examination we first found that the water pressure had dropped to about 0.8. We followed the procedure in the manual "Filling the heating system" and successfully returned it to 1.5, however the problem was not fixed. (So this may not be relevant.)

We have tried the re-ignition several times without success. The system behaves as follows when this is tried:
1) to begin with none of the three lights are on. No failure code is shown, temperature is ambient at about 20 degrees Celsius. status mode is S.00 (no heat demand).
2) press the ignition button for a second and release. It gives three clicks, the last one is a shorter double-click. I don't know what it normally sounds like. During this the status codes go s10 (hot water demand), s11 (fan running), then s17 (pump overrun). No hot water appears after several minutes.
To view the status codes I am repeatedly pressing the "i" button, I might have missed some if they would only briefly appear but I can't see s.13 "ignition sequence" and s14 "burner ignited", there is also no other burning noise.

Any ideas?

If I just take off the cover will I be able to see if ignition is happening, or some other part has burnt out etc, without actually moving or dismantling the components? And is that safe?

We followed the fault finding diagram through to "Does the boiler commence ignition" but are stuck there. (Both answers lead to having to replace parts though :( )

Any advice would be much appreciated.

regards,
V

Sponsored Links
rather than pushing so many buttons I would be more interested in a simple description of what happens when you try to run the heating and ( seperately ) what happens when you try to run hot water.

When you say "no hot water" its totally unclear what you mean! Hot water is coming but its cold or no water is flowing at all?

Tony

When you say "no hot water" its totally unclear what you mean!
Except that it's not totally unclear. :rolleyes:

Most punters don't describe the 'no water out of the hot tap' condition using the words "no hot water", and given that this is a combi it's pretty clear that it means 'the hot water is cold'.

When lay people want to describe the 'no water from the hot tap' condition they generally say something else, like "nothing comes out".

Hot water is coming but its cold...
Hot is....cold?! That's your example of being clear? Seriously?

Sponsored Links
To clarify: the water comes out of the taps but it is cold. Also, the heating system doesn't heat, but sounds like it's pumping water through to the radiators.

In both cases it sounds like the ignition is trying to go on (clicking noises), but no heating occurs. We have gas to the cooker which is in the same room and the boiler has electricity as shown by the lights and display.

thanks for replies so far,
V

And ( without you pushing any buttons ) what does the display when you use hot water and seperately when you try central heating.

10 days have passed now. Presumably a working boiler is not so important to you or have you been on holiday?

Tony

10 days have passed now.
So what? It's August, which is the month in which most of the country takes a holiday. :rolleyes:

Presumably a working boiler is not so important to you...
Why presume anything at all? Why not leave out the social commentary and stick to the point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back