vaillant turbomax 282 poor hot water CH ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Folks have a turbomax 282 and they are not getting consistent hot water from the taps. When i turn the hot tap on, flame ignites (orange light comes on) temp rise to about 68 degrees, hot water come out for maybe 20 secs, then orange light goes off, water goes cold.
Then same thing every 30 seconds or so.
The CH is working ok though.
No fault codes funnily enough, only status codes, I checked the status codes intermittently and they vary between S27 and S24 S14.
Any ideas?
A friend suggested that maybe the electrodes in the combustion chamber need to be realigned correctly but he said that he would have expected fault code F28 (electrode defective) for this.
Could it be diverter valve? Although the I noticed the pressure is at 0, could a faulty PRV also lead to not hot water but CH ok?

Thanks, and happy new year all.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Could it be diverter valve? Although the I noticed the pressure is at 0, could a faulty PRV also lead to not hot water but CH ok?

Thanks, and happy new year all.

Do you really expect that the boiler is going to work if the system pressure is at zero?

Would you drive a car with no air in the tyres?

Repressurise to 1.5 Bar and see what it does then!

Tony

Sponsored Links
thanks agile, the pressure seems to rise when the CH is turned on, and then falls back when off.
Will try your suggestion, cheers.

ok re-pressurised to 1.5bar, still no hot water. boiler is not losing pressure.
Same symptoms as before - flame ignites (indicated by orange light) , temp on display rises to 70, hot water for 20 secs, flame goes out, temp on boiler drops to 48, repeat cycle.

Right now that you have pressurised correctly and removed that problem from the equation then that just leaves the blocked plate heat exchanger as the most likely cause of the cycling.

That needs to be replaced or cleaned.

But it is likely to reoccur unless the system is cleaned or a filter added.

Tony

Thanks tony, a friend suggested having one of those magna clean? magnetic rods installed so that all the metal and stuff that blocks up the heat exchanger never makes it into the system. Do you recommend this kind of thing?

Allways fit a filter, i perfer tf1 or magnabooster, the plate will need to come out and be cleaned, best to run x800 round system for 2 hours flush out and put some x100 inhibitor in.

I would really just suggest a gauze filter and isolating valves if there is only a little dirt if its your own house and you can clean/check it yourself.

They cost less than £20 and trap ALL the dirt not just magnetic dirt.

But they are only suitable for generally clean systems otherwise would need cleaning daily for a week or two until most of the dirt has been removed.

As they are a fraction of the cost then I would use one myself and clean it daily. After the first few weeks the magnetic filters have nothing further to do!

Tony

Thanks agile / lightning. I suspect the gear exchanger is probably well blocked up then. Will probably advise dad to get a new heat exchanger then. Would it not be best practice them to fit a gauze on all boiler installations then as that would stop a lot of the cr@p getting into the system? Especially as it seems like quite an easy thing to fit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back