vaillant turbomax 282 not keeping pressure and no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a vaillant turbomax 282 - the problems started 2 days ago after 7 years of no issues!

Annyhoo, first I notice a constant flow of pressure from the overflow pipe outside. Checked the pressure on the bolier and it was auite high, about 2.5 bar. Didnt think much of it as it's always been like that and had no issues. So I lowered the pressure using the release valve under the boiler. Though ti might be the pRv at this stage.

At this pointm the hot water was still working (not tried central heating) .

Then, yesterday, pressure had dropped to 0. Refilled, but it instantly dropped again with water flowing from overflow pipe.

When I turned the hot tap on, the boiler ignited (orange light on, green light flashing), temperature rose very quickly in 100's on dispaly, pressure gauge fluctuate like mad betwen 1 - 3 bar, and a loud banging noise from boiler.

Orange light turned off, green light flashing and temperature back to 40's, and pressure down to 0, noise stopped.

So I got hot water for about 2 minutes I think.

Does anyone have any ideas - PRV or diverter valve maybe ? Ta.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like expansion vessel needs repressurising (read FAQ) and you will need a new PRV - never use them to drain a boiler ;)

And make sure the Auto Air Vent is working, a gentle thump with a spanner can free them up, but you may need a new one of these also.

Thanks beerlover, i will attemptto re-pressurise that. New PRV! dammit!
Tnh i iwasa bit stumped as at first when i saw the overflow i thoughti was the just the PRV but then when the loud banging noises started and no hot water I wasn't too sure.
Thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
If your expansion vessel is pressurised, the pump may not be pumping fast enough and so system going to over pressure and valve opening...new valve will be needed, but if problem persists could be due to build up of magnetite and sludge in boiler. The erv is a symptom, not the cause

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back