Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH - No Hot Water

Mick, see point A in my last post. Faulty water section would not cause diverter to be position for HW delivery as indicated in the answer.

Sponsored Links
If I push the lever of the switch by hand then burners fire but the diverter valve does not move.

If I move the cam against the lever then the burners fire and diverter valve moves out to right.

Does this mean the microswitch is kaput? Or does it mean it needs adjusting? Not really wanting to remove the whole servo valve just to adjust.

Is there an easier method?
DP, , I understand how these boilers (should) work. well I think so anyway ;)
After I re-read some of this thread, it appears to me that each time a possible solution is given to a particular problem the op claims "that bit is ok, but this other bit doesn't seem right"
The servo valve/micro switch - push it, it works says, water section - leaks say diff press valve, etc, etc

twgas servo is not at full travel. Fingure cam to make boiler work.

OP says at point A diverter is at full travel for heating or HW. That to me means water section is OK as is servo valve and water section.

If the sevo valve is not at full travel to allow sufficient pos and neg pressure water to diverter, I would be looking at the servo valve and around it and no go off the tangent changing bits and pieces that have no bearing on the fault.

Remote faulting can be difficult as one is assuming what the poster writes is what the appliance is/ is not doing.

Advice appreciated as I don't want to pay another £130 for probably the same thing and I cannot justify £700 on a new boiler[/quot

try at least £1600 supply an fit at least.
am sick to death of people saying "i carnt justify that" but it is going to give you heating & hot wtr for years dear i reply. as her 40k BMW is on the drive pathetic some people.

Sponsored Links
DP, I think we are reading this whole thing diferent;
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:00 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The servo valve seems to have two clicks. The first click sets off the burners the second click seems to move the diverter valve.

Playing about with it sometimes the second click is not made and no HW.

I guess it needs adjustment as if I run the water and push the cam by hand then voila HW??
This says, to me, the servo isn't moving correctly - hence my suggestion of water section.

I'm not trying to score points here, just attempting to understand what is happening to this boiler, once we do that we may be able to suggest a repair.

twgas, reading posts by others is education for one and all. I am no exception- I am here to learn.

The servo valve microswitch will only click once. It is also the beasty that kick starts the pump. Rest as they say, should be automatic.

I would be aiming to check the servovalve as they do wear out and angular travel become hazy. No harm in checking out the water section.

Other clicks could be from the electronics box, diverter valve and the APS on the boiler. The fact that fingure assistance makes the boiler move, suggests lifting pin travel is inadequate (could be water section- but then why post both HW and CH OK at point A) or misaligned cam within the servo valve a common problem during CH demand on this boiler.

In my experience a lot of defects are related to slippage in proper service intervals. Do a proper service and all functions like swiss watch. Go by the code 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' is akin to sitting on a slippery slope

In short

Running a hot tap moves the servo valve. There are two clicks that it makes, with finger assistance it always makes the second click but 70-80% of the time it makes the second click automatically.

It appears as if the servo valve doesn't always move far enough to make the second click more noticeably when CH is on.

When I said in 'point C' that the diverter valve doesn't move that is if it is only pushed slightly. If I ensure it is pushed all the way then DHW always works.

It appears to be temperamental.

However, I think all the air in the system has now gone out and having replaced the flow switch it seems to be fine 'touch wood'.

Although I still think the servo valve could do with a little adjustment.

It is leaking from here:

CIMG2123-1.jpg

I realise that this is an old thread but I am hoping someone can give me an answer. My boiler is the same and it also leaks from this same area. Ours has a small leak from the copper pipe on the bottom left. The manual says it is a push fit connection. It is leaking at the connection.

Can this be rectified? If I drain the system, remove the clip and pull the pipe what will I find, is it an o-ring that makes the seal?

Thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back