Vaillant weather comp - lower heating curve = less gas used?

The OP does yes.

MHOL has the same as your client,a 400

Sponsored Links
Not noticed that.... That's the frustration when people don't start a new thread.

....That's the frustration when people don't start a new thread.
Or when people don't read the threads properly :LOL: :

Hi MHOL, I realise it has been some time since you posted, but I'm having similar problems, with a similar system.
ALEC1, thanks for the link, that is a very useful document. I wonder why it wasn't provided to me by the engineer!

As well as posting on this forum, I explained the issue to Vaillant and received the following reply this morning:

Thank you for your email.

It is recommended that the heat curve be set at 2.3 for the UK so it may be that the heat curve is too low, try setting it at 2.3 and see if this makes a difference, if not then contact our advice line on 0844 736 0049 and check the settings.

I will do as you suggest and play around with the settings.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Of course Alec is our resident expert on WC, far more so that anyone at Vaillant.

However, I have always been under the impression that the curve required depends on the heat losses of the building rather than which country its located in.

In fact suppose you could move your entire house from the UK to Germany then why should the curve need changing ??? Tell us Alec!

Tony

OP, you seem to be a little naive about heating costs!

To achieve an internal temperature of 21 C you need to input power equal to the heat loss of the building.

The cost of that heat will be the same regardless of having WC , sinple room stats or to just manually adjust the boiler knobs to maintain the required 21 C.

Tony

far more so that anyone at Vaillant.

Tony

more tony bullshit, heat curves for various latitudes are different, and yes alec is pretty clued up on vaillant controls but i know of at least two people who kick his ass on them excluding me in the C.C we just dont get so wrapped up in it!

Has anyone (including the various :rolleyes: :rolleyes: OP's simply not considered the fact that they ave boiler's bolted onto systems that simply aren't designed to do what they think they should should do.

The poster saying he can't get the rooms above a certain temperature.... are the emitters sized and designed to be running at silly low temps, or the old standards?

My new rads are sized to run at 55° not 80°, and therefore nearly twice the size... well actually not quite, but... you get my point.

The poor Vaillant I was at yesterday is struggling like hell to do its job, but that is because the installers and various nimrods that have messed with the system over the years have left things in a state that frankly, I am wondering what the best cause of action is.

CC guys can see the thread in the usual place ;).

heat curves for various latitudes are different

Well I could accept that if its because prevailing weather conditions are different.

But then London is at 51° and Berlin is 52°. They both seem to be at very similar latitudes to me.

But I would have thought the Gulf Stream and similar weather features would have had far more effect than just latitude.

heat curves are something more than just latitude tony but since we are now talking about about defferent countries that is also correct, the weather streams also do come into play!!

same as my wee hoose in the west of scotland gets ****ed on most days and suffers horrendous winds is different from the guy in moscow who walks arround at this time of year in very frozen condition's!

there is more to the heat curve than the op undertands and "general" heat curves are just that!!

alec unlike you understands heat curves are personal but what alec also knows is that a general heat curve can be fine tuned to suit every installation!

My understanding is that heat curves are particular to the property construction ( and a smaller extent its exposure to winds etc. ).

With that in mind I was surprised that Vaillant apparently advised the OP to just set a single figure of 2.3 without any further information at all.

Tony

ops location is yorkshire, so guess he told tech this on the line, tech would have stted the 2.3 as a general rule of thumb for op's location!!

so just property constuction comes into mind tony???

so moscow on the same latitude roughly as glasgow has the same heat curve requirement??

now you know as well as me central heating design would require more input than that, heat curve is not a simple number picked from brains, it gives the "sensors" a better idea as to how to deal with massive or minor swings!!

Too right Bell... you can have a house in scotland with a curve of 0.5 and one in London with a curve of 3.5... the more asute will know that the one is scotland has UFH and good insulation and the one in London trench radiators which are undersized and installed on the behest of an architect!

I think this is one of the issues some one somewhere has to make decisions about settings based on judgement and skill... no calculation will give you the setting for a heat curve in a retro fit...its only possible in new build.....and that would make heating installers too important to the client, something that the manufacturers do not want!

Much better to shift countless white boxes anonymously...at the lowest price in the most commodity like way...

I have always thought that setting the correct curve for an existing property is a matter of try it and monitor the results.

However, I dont read much about any installers on here significantly using data loggers, not even Alex.

None seem to even check the EXV air pressure! It seems to be get boiler on wall, turn on, get paid and go ( for good ).

Tony

No I don't have a data logger, instead I get clients to concentrate on comfort level and real temperatures with their own thermometers...

When they see the relatively stable temperature they begin to understand that the systems work and recognise that their own body regulation is the one that fluctuates...

Airplanes temps are very stable, but for some they are too hot, or too cool...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back