Valiant Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a valiant boiler 15095520 which will not fire up. Water pressure is fine and the pilot light is on any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
sorry I thought that number quoted was the one... Does VCW T3W make more sense? Its an old combi boiler

Yes it does. First thing to look at is the reset button, once you've found it. Inside, central box, button round to the right.
Then find the pump(easier!) on the right, follow two thin pipes round to the pump pressure switch front middle. When the pump starts, assuming it does, you should see, even without removing it, a pin come out of the pps, which should open a gas valve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan_Robinson for that info. Found the reset you talked about but further investigation found that the fuse on the circuit board keeps blowing, will i need to get a circuit board? Yes the small pin from the two small tubes from the pump does work

Its most often the pump which blows fuses but as you are saying the pin comes out that indicates the pump is working.

You could try powering the pump from another source fused at 3 A and see what happens.

Its possible the pump is only a small overload and takes a while to blow the internal fuse.

Tony

Hi Agile, I have disconnected the pump from the supply, removed all wires to the switches at the bottom which I assume is the hot water section and unplugged the plug on the cylinder on the left (looking at the boiler), the fuse still blows once power is connected. Although I can see no obvious damage to the circuit board I suppose you will tell me that it is not normal for it to cause the problem.

When I did change the fuse initially everything ran and including the pum and then it all stopped again

I think there may be two fuses???

Anything is possible but to save time diagnosing faults we look first at the most likely causes i.e. the pump.

I dont quite follow what you have disconnected. One professional rule is to only disconnect one thing at a time so that you can keep track of the likely cause.

Without seeing exactly what you have and have not done then I cannot think of anythine else to suggest.

Are you quite sure there is no water leaking into anything electric???

Tony

Hello Agile

The two fuses I think you are talking about are on the front circuit board where the three main switches live, the other pcb is internal. I did disconnect wires from switches and pcb one at a time, the motor I disconnected from the terminal block on the pump.

It was in this order. I removed the pcb terminal connections and switched on the electric starting fuse did not blow, it blew when only the internal pcb was connected. I then removed the wires on the micro switches (hot water ?) and the motor wires, it blew the fuse, I then removed the wires connecting the rheostat for the heating on the internal pcb and it still blew the fuse again

Unlikely to be the PCB.

If I were you, I would get hold of the boiler manual and then look at the circuit. Do not assume PCB is cuffed. Get hold of a multimeter and use it to locate where the short circuit is. Do not speculate, look for the defect.

You still have not told us which fuse is blowing!

Anything is possible but from what you have told us its not clear what the problem is yet.

Tony

The fuse that is blowing is on the internal pcb, not the front one that holds the mmain switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back