Valiant combi heater not powering up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

My mother in laws ecotech 831 has died and I'm just seeing if its anything obvious (it's under gtee but Valiant aren't coming to Monday and she's 80 something!)

At the moment it appears to not even power up. There's a white box inbetween the mains feed and the boiler which as a power in and two mains cables coming out of it.

Am I right in thinking this for the Honeywell wireless controller?

Many thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
Just looked and I'm right about the box (should have done that first) but any ideas greatly appreciated. Looks like the boiler is dead unless I'm missing a trick!

Have you tested/confirmed the electric supply is turned on to it? I take it there is no display on the boiler?

Yes the boilers is dead.

The supply is on and the thermostat Rx unit has two LEDS - one of which is green which (according to the manual) means the boiler should be on but there's no life on the display. I've turned the boiler switch on and off a few times but nothing.

Sponsored Links
Either there is a electric supply problem to the boiler, or indeed a problem with the boiler its self. As both would involve removing the casing of the boiler to test, and possibly compromising gas safety, I'm afraid we can't advise DIYers further in this forum.

I'm sure Vaillant will sort it on Monday.

Fear not! The moment it wouldn't turn it on I figured there was some very amiss and well out of my comfort zone. So have graciously walked away with my limbs in tact. Thanks for your help though 831 bunny.

Just a quick throw in, is there a condensate pump fitted? If there is then they can cut the power to the boiler if they get blocked or the float switch sticks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back