Valiant eco tech condensate flexi pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my boiler has been leaking. I’ve had someone out today who has shown me that the flexi plastic condensate pipe has been sat on the copper pipe which has melted a hole in it. They have quoted over £250 for repair. Does this sound average? I have sourced the part online which is only £20 is this a really detailed job to my untrained eye it looked quite straightforward.

Sponsored Links
Technically you're not allowed to mess with the condensate pipe unless gas safe as it's apart of the flue.

However if it's just replacing a broken section of condensate pipe it's probably one of the more DIY friendly jobs you could undertake.

If your confident save yourself £250 and crack on. If not or you want it done by the book get a few other quotes as £250 seems steep.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was thinking of attempting it but I’ve terrified myself reading posts on here. The boilers in my daughters room so really don’t want to risk it. I just thought £250 seemed a bit excessive. I will get another quote.

Sponsored Links
Technically you're not allowed to mess with the condensate pipe unless gas safe as it's apart of the flue.

However if it's just replacing a broken section of condensate pipe it's probably one of the more DIY friendly jobs you could undertake.

If your confident save yourself £250 and crack on. If not or you want it done by the book get a few other quotes as £250 seems steep.
Ate you serious you imbecile by repairing the pipe :rolleyes: typical example of diyers giving gas advice , idiot ;) for starters this boiler should have been turned off by engineer as possible carbon monoxide escape until repair done and no typical internet basher you cannot buy just the pipe as you need the symphony trap as well so OP just leave it alone and pay Whatever the quote is ;)

All depends if prv pipe work is in the way

Which if you plumbers are as godly as you think you are should never happen. Only an idiot would trap the trap.

No fumes would escape if the trap were still in place. I changed my condensate from external to internal be just adjusting the solvent weld pipe I never once touched the trap or any other parts for that matter. What an imbecile I am. The next service the gas engineer was none the wiser.

Which if you plumbers are as godly as you think you are should never happen. Only an idiot would trap the trap.

No fumes would escape if the trap were still in place. I changed my condensate from external to internal be just adjusting the solvent weld pipe I never once touched the trap or any other parts for that matter. What an imbecile I am. The next service the gas engineer was none the wiser.
In English please ;)

This is the flexible tube inside the boiler and is before the trap so will leak fumes. I would advise not to use the boiler until this has been repaired correctly. Ask your plumber/ gas fitter to read TB 150. Safety checks will need to be carried out after fitting the tube to ensure no combustion products are escaping

Thanks for the replies. Been internet bashing ‍♀️again the pipe with the trap is actually £25. Don’t agree that people should pay whatever the quote is. Not fair to rip people off . I’m not trying to cut corners just trying to avoid paying more than I need too. Also boiler is switched off I only put it on for hot water.

Hi my boiler has been leaking. I’ve had someone out today who has shown me that the flexi plastic condensate pipe has been sat on the copper pipe which has melted a hole in it
How much was the initial call out ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back