vallant ecotech 824 boiler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to keep topping up the boiler as it flashes empty.

It first started as a slow drip from the bottom of the right hand side panel wall but now its dripping from the left side panel wall except it drips much more on the left side. Its not constant so I think it might be just when the water is run from the tap, not sure if its just the hot water tap or both. I have to keep a bowl each side of boiler to catch the drips. Heating and water is working as long as I keep the water topped up.

Does anyone know what this could be and if it might be expensive to fix?

Sponsored Links
It can be anything leaking and the cost will depend on what it is!

Obviously you need a boiler engineer to inspect it asap before it does more damage!

Quite possible to be the pump if your system water is dirty. That will be about £200.

Tony

Thanks, have called engineer out now. The heating and water have gone off again even though I topped it up at around 8am so its getting much worse.

I had a vaillant combination boiler for 19 years before this one and it was brilliant, in fact I never had it serviced in that time and it was only through not being able to get parts for it when it stopped working on the heating side only that I had this new one. I have to say I don't think they are as well made as my old one, and although I was advised this 824 model was the right size for my 3 bed semi it does not heat the house like the other did. I often have to have the fire on and halogen heaters on upstairs as well as the heating. I am not happy and have even thought of having a new one but not sure I have the trust in vaillant again after having this one for 4 years now. Perhaps its the condensing design of the boiler that makes it less efficient even though its supposed to be better for the environment if I'm having to use an electric fire and halogen heaters on top its not doing me or the environment any good.

I'm put off vaillant now and neverthought I'd say that but any suggestions on a really good boiler anyone please?

19 years and never had it serviced? I think that says a lot for Vaillant and I still rate them.I don't recommend that long between services though! :LOL:
Maybe your 4 yr old boiler was never set up correctly.

Sponsored Links
these do have problems with these boilers,leaking legs and pressure sensors go out on f75 but better than worcester , biasi ideal and all the cheaper models.

The plumber came round and had a look at it, he is a local plumber that I've used before for other things but not the boiler. He had to look in the book to find out what part is actually leaking and said it was the diverter, he didn't say diverter valve just diverter and he pointed to a flat kind of gold thing in the middle of the back of the boiler.

He said it might be coming from both sides as it might be shooting over but thats all he can see that is leaking at the moment. He said it would need new o rings if theres a leak anyway.

He rang someone while he was here to explain things and ask advice and took the service book with him but I'd rather him do that to make sure its done right. He has to order any parts needed but I'm not sure if its going to be a whole diverter or a diverter valve or just o rings or if anything else will turn up once that problem is fixed.

I kind of expected him not to be that familiar with this boiler hes an older guy from a long established local plumbing and heating firm but hes a decent bloke and would not try to fix it if he couldnt be sure he knew what he was doing so he will be finding out how before going ahead.

The boiler is working still so long as its got enough water, it had just gone off earlier as the temperature had been reached and I didn't notice

If the leak is from the diverter valve spindle then the complete valve should be replaced asap before the leak gets into the motor and damages the pcb. Delay at your peril! The diverter valve comes with all the required O Rings and is about £75 plus fitting. Usually a 45min job tops.

I shouldn't be too worried on cost though, 'cos you've saved at least 20 years of servicing on the appliances combined, on an average price of £50 that's a grand!!! And you moan about the boiler...

:eek:

The plumber came round and had a look at it, he is a local plumber that I've used before for other things but not the boiler. He had to look in the book to find out what part is actually leaking and said it was the diverter, he didn't say diverter valve just diverter and he pointed to a flat kind of gold thing in the middle of the back of the boiler.

The colour may be wrong but that sounds like a description of the plate HE.

Not a common place for a leak on this model but nor is the diverter valve either. But then leaks can occur anywhere.

Wonderful as the old boiler was ( Sine 18 ? ) but never having it services says more to me about the owner than the boiler! They ( T3 ) seem very tolerant of faults though and when they finally stop they often have several faults in evidence.

If it was the plate HE then it might be just a sealing washer. Difficult to visualise a boiler engineer who was not familiar with diverter valves failing on this model. At the height of failures my local spares place were selling 50 a week. Now its down to less than 10 !

Tony

If the leak is from the diverter valve spindle then the complete valve should be replaced asap before the leak gets into the motor and damages the pcb. Delay at your peril! The diverter valve comes with all the required O Rings and is about £75 plus fitting. Usually a 45min job tops.

I shouldn't be too worried on cost though, 'cos you've saved at least 20 years of servicing on the appliances combined, on an average price of £50 that's a grand!!! And you moan about the boiler...

:eek:

Thanks, I'm hoping he will be back to do it early next week, its weird though because it can go all night without leaking even with heating on then it will leak another night.

I'm not moaning about the old combi vaillant boiler it was very reliable and only needed topping up every 18 months to 2 years. I did attempt to get it serviced from the begining but at that time 25 yrs ago hardly any plumbers new about them and they didnt want to go up my loft to service it so I just gave up trying and it was ok so I just carried on not bothering.
I do think this one is not as well made though, perhaps they use cheaper parts now or perhaps its the difference in a combi to condensing combi but I don't think I have the right size boiler for my house anyway and I think I was wronlgly advised even though I questioned it at the time.

Forgot to say that with this 4 yr old boiler I have actually had it serviced every year since it was put in and the last time was about feb last year. When I had it installed I had it moved from the loft to the kitchen so I could keep a closer eye on it without having the hassle of getting up the loft. Good job I did

[/quote]

The colour may be wrong but that sounds like a description of the plate HE.

Not a common place for a leak on this model but nor is the diverter valve either. But then leaks can occur anywhere.

Wonderful as the old boiler was ( Sine 18 ? ) but never having it services says more to me about the owner than the boiler! They ( T3 ) seem very tolerant of faults though and when they finally stop they often have several faults in evidence.

If it was the plate HE then it might be just a sealing washer. Difficult to visualise a boiler engineer who was not familiar with diverter valves failing on this model. At the height of failures my local spares place were selling 50 a week. Now its down to less than 10 !

Tony[/quote]

Just wanted to ask, if it is the heat exchanger would that effect the radiator heat and water temperature? its just I have noticed that the radiators are really hot and the water is coming out really hot too even though its still on its normal setting. I am just a bit worried if the plumber gets a divereter valve then it turns out to be the heat exchanger.

Also oddly it did not leak at all over the weekend even though the heating has been on all day every day and water being used. Then on Sunday night at 10.30pm it started to leak again at about 1 drip a second, this was after the heating had gone off and no water was being used. It dripped constantly, I had to keep emptying the mixing bowl and it must have gone on through a lot of the night but had stopped by the morning and was reading f22 again so I topped it up again and it has not leaked again all day.

O ring seals always leak more when cold. NEVER had a leak develop on it's own on HEx seals, my money is on leaking DV spindle and/or leaking hoses.

The only way to know whats leaking is to see where the leak comes from!

I would look myself if I could but I can't unfortunately. Hoping they will ring tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back