Baxi Solo 30 HE- water leaking from flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo 30 boiler that runs a pressurised heating and hot water system .

It 's about two years old a fires up fine and runs as expected except when switched off and cooled down it drips water from the bottom of the flue pipe that vents to the outside .

The leak is a constant drip that adds up to a least a washing up bowl full each night . The water drips from the join in the flue pipe on its first 90 deg elbow about 150mm above the boiler top .
My plumber says he will return and us silicon to seal the joint . Is he correct or is there another problem,perhaps the condensing draining system

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the condensate trap and pipework checked for blockages (unlikely as boiler would lock out eventually.) or the inner flue is breached and the seal leaking. Condensate is corrosive and it needs urgent action.......this could be an 'at risk' scenario.....using silicone is not the correct solution. You may need a new flue system

Thanks for help- I will check condensate trap and pipework again although they looked ok . The inner flue viewed thru the inspection hole looked dry and 'as new'

The only place a large amount of water can come from is the inner flue. The fact it looks dry is immaterial, if the products of combustion are leaking out of it and are the cause of the condensate then it is a serious safety issue. Get an RGI to investigate

Sponsored Links
except when switched off and cooled down it drips water from the bottom of the flue pipe

It only leaks when it's off ?

Are you sure it's not coming from a pipe leaking above the flue pipe

Thanks for help , I have again checked, no water leaking from anywhere except from the bottom of the joint in the flue pipe where it turns thru 90 degs to go out of the wall .
It looks as if the boiler some how overflows up into the flue pipe when it is off !!!

Again thanks to you all with suggestions

Have now found problem - The leak was 'as suggested 'from pipe work above the boiler!!!!
The leak was found by placing a dry rag above the flue pipe and once wet proved I should be investigating above this point !!!!

Thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back