Valley hopper/swan-neck dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Can anyone suggest a way forward with this? I have a new extension on a 1930s property that has a long valley between the new roof and the original roof that ends over a recess. The original concept was that there would be a nice hopper at the top of the recess, with the hopper and downpipe all tucked away. The builders, however, have extended the valley past the recess in line with the end of the gables (because "that is how valley's are done") and want to put a hopper out on the facia with a swan neck back into the downpipe in the recess. :( This is how it currently looks (please excuse the poor photo)...

DSC04865.jpg

I do not really like it, and am left with the following options...

1) leave as is and try and find an nice (narrow) hopper/gutter and swan neck to take it back in, but I cannot find anything elegant.
2) get the valley cut back and put a hopper in the recess as originally intended.
3) cut a hole in the end of the valley, and put a stop at the end (all suitably flashed, sealed etc). I can then put a hopper under the hole in the recess.

I have tried to find some images of a valley that ends over a recess like this, for inspiration, but have not found any similar examples.

Can anyone comment on the best way forward, or point me towards some examples of this type of arrangement, or suitable hoppers etc? How would you have done this?

Many thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
in one way the roofer is right.

if you were to cut the valley back to the recess, then you would still need to extend the eaves details on both roof elevations and fix to short lengths of gutter each side thus making the job non-viable.

non-viable because the gutters would either be touching and you simply would not have the room to fix them.

so extended valley it is.

you could always back fall the short piece of valley and cut a balcony gutter into the valley directly above the recess, as stated. there would be no need for a hopper as the down pipe would feed straight into the balcony gutter. you would need to fix a deeper end fascia and alter the barge boxes in order to 'stop end' the valley, as the fascia would need to be higher than the valley.

in any case, the valley should have been choked down to a suitable gathering size in order for a standard hopper to collect the run off. a standard hopper is only about 9" wide. how was the roofer hoping to deal with this?

it looks as though you will have to fix a central running outlet with two short pieces of gutter each side. this will then be swan-necked back into the recess.

TonyB(ex Slater & Tiler /Advanced City&Guilds/Roofing Lecturer/Chartered Surveyor MRICS.MCIOB.MIOR.
Hi -Looking at this it seems the easiest way to resolve this is to make the depth of the oversail deeper to carry your hopper(timber fixed upwards into what is already there,and also fixed into structured masonary.The facia would be required to be bigger which would then match.It is a more technical job to lead burn an outlet into this valley which would have heen more traditional.Using a high capacity gutter and outlet would seem insufficient as a hopper for the volume of water is required,the facia size at present does not have enough depth for a hopper,so this area requires to be made bigger which is reasonably easy to achieve.

Sponsored Links
What I would do is ..... have the hopper on the wall in the recess with the main valley dressed into it. But leave the detail as the roofers have done it and just have this dressed back and adapted to give a slight fall back to the hopper.

Effectively the fascia as it is will be cosmetic.

JAFFA72(ex-male stripper/giggalo/NVQ level 24/BIGG.USSD.ICKUS):cool:
Hi,what i would do is............hope this problem was already sorted out because we've had an awful amount of rainfall this last couple of month or so!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back