Valliant combi boiler (wiring)

PWR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been in new house for a few years now and I am putting in a new kitchen and after working out where all the sockets and lights are connected to in the fuse board, I have found that the combi boiler is wired into the ring main, (this was what the third live cable was in the mcb). The old boiler in the kitchen was plugged into a socket (still there) on the wall which goes straight back to the fuse board on a 16A mcb. Will it be OK to remove the socket in the kitchen, rip out the wiring, and move the combi live over to this now empty 16A mcb?? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Is the combi boiler not on a fused connection unit?
Personally I don't see any problems with what you are wanting to do, make sure it is properly labelled at the consumer unit. Make sure the neutral and earth for the circuit are also swopped to the correct terminals in the consumer unit too.
Should maybe mention that the work is effectively a new circuit hence will be notifiable to your LABC under part P if you live in England or Wales.

thanks for the reply spark123, yes it is on a fused switch (between boiler and consumer unit). so it will be fine to swap it over into the 16A mcb then.

Read my edit^
No problem with it being on a 16A MCB as it only takes a small amount of power to run.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the FCU has a 3A fuse in it too, the number that I come across that have the 13A that it came with :rolleyes:

I know its got its downsides, but I'd prefer it if they came with 'mixed bag' fuses inside them, that way I wouldn't always be buying 3A fuses and have a tub full of 13A fuses in the garage. (any takers?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back