Replace 16Amp MCB & 2.5mm T&E with 32Amp MCB & 4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

One of my MCB's is rated at 16A and has running off it a single spur to a socket in the garage and to a FCU onto the Combi boiler in the kitchen.

When plugged into the socket in the garage, my 1400w chop saw trips the 16A MCB. If I use it on an extension from the 32A downstairs ring it works fine.

1. I am surprised that it trips the MCB as it is only ~6A. I suspect that the draw is momentarily higher when the saw spins up. Anyone have any opinion on this?

2. So, what I would like to do is replace the 16A MCB with a 32A one. I understand that I will have to replace the 2.5mm T&E cable that runs into the garage with 4mm. Is this correct?

3. I would like to add an additional double socket in the garage (just for drill charger, portable light etc). My understanding is that my circuit is a radial one, and because I am using 4mm cable I can just continue the radial from the first socket (i.e. a spur off a spur). Is this correct?

4. Will changing the MCB for a 32A one have any impact on my combi boiler circuit?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

Sponsored Links
You could swap the mcb for a 16A Type C if it is a Type B but this will require correct testing at the extremity of the circuit to ensure that disconnection times are still met.

1. I am surprised that it trips the MCB as it is only ~6A. I suspect that the draw is momentarily higher when the saw spins up. Anyone have any opinion on this?
Maybe

2. So, what I would like to do is replace the 16A MCB with a 32A one. I understand that I will have to replace the 2.5mm T&E cable that runs into the garage with 4mm. Is this correct?
You could just replace it with a 20A or 25A depending on the cable route.
Or C type mcb depending on the circuit loop impedance.

3. I would like to add an additional double socket in the garage (just for drill charger, portable light etc). My understanding is that my circuit is a radial one, and because I am using 4mm cable I can just continue the radial from the first socket (i.e. a spur off a spur). Is this correct?
Yes, also extendible with 2.5 mm² if you do the above.

4. Will changing the MCB for a 32A one have any impact on my combi boiler circuit?
No.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back