Cu rcd & mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So got a question for you all
If my supply to my shed is 32amp and the protected by a 40amp 30ma rcd could I use a 16a mcb for the sockets 16a mcb for a 16a blue outside socket and a 6a mcb for the light ... Even know the total is more then 32a supply
there will never be a full 16amp one the blue outside socket as the caravan is fitted with a 10amp mcb

The reason why I wanted to use a 16a supply for the blue socket is that I don't fancy the walk back to flip the sheds mcb when I would rather the caravan mcb to trip if I or the wife was to overload it

Hope it makes sense

Sponsored Links
If my supply to my shed is 32amp and the protected by a 40amp 30ma rcd
When you say 32A supply, do you mean it is protected by a 32A MCB?
Do you realise that the 40A on the RCD is NOT overload protection?

could I use a 16a mcb for the sockets 16a mcb for a 16a blue outside socket and a 6a mcb for the light ... Even know the total is more then 32a supply
Yes.

There is a lot more to outdoor supplies than you probably realise.
If this is proposed work I would advise you to discuss it with an electrician on site.

If my supply to my shed is 32amp and the protected by a 40amp 30ma rcd could I use a 16a mcb for the sockets 16a mcb for a 16a blue outside socket and a 6a mcb for the light
What MCBs are currently in the shed CU?

The reason why I wanted to use a 16a supply for the blue socket is that I don't fancy the walk back to flip the sheds mcb when I would rather the caravan mcb to trip if I or the wife was to overload it
There's no guarantee of discrimination between a 10A and a 16A MCB.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds";p="3257878 said:
If my supply to my shed is 32amp and the protected by a 40amp 30ma rcd could I use a 16a mcb for the sockets 16a mcb for a 16a blue outside socket and a 6a mcb for the light
What MCBs are currently in the shed CU?

40a 30ma rcd.... 16a/10a/6a want to change the 10a to a 16a

EFLImpudence";p="3257875 said:
If my supply to my shed is 32amp and the protected by a 40amp 30ma rcd
When you say 32A supply, do you mean it is protected by a 32A MCB?
Do you realise that the 40A on the RCD is NOT overload protection?

Yes I know that it overload protection

We are having a sparky coming in on Wednesday to do the odd change ,we have agreed that if I get the bits what I want him to change he be happy to do the.... as I know a few people who work in screwfix and the wholesales I can get mates rates :)

So got a question for you all
If my supply to my shed is 32amp and the protected by a 40amp 30ma rcd could I use a 16a mcb for the sockets 16a mcb for a 16a blue outside socket and a 6a mcb for the light ... Even know the total is more then 32a supply
there will never be a full 16amp one the blue outside socket as the caravan is fitted with a 10amp mcb

Allow me to answer the question with an illustration. Go to your house consumer unit and add up the value of all the MCBs. When you've done that compare it to the value of the service fuse (if it's not written anywhere that you an see without touching anything, assume it's 60, 80 or 100A).

So stick a C16 MCB in ?
The OP wrote ...
I may be wrong, but if we're talking about overload, rather than faults, then I don't think that a C16 (or even D16, come to that) is much more likely to discriminate, is it?

Kind Regards, John

You'd better tell every campsite and caravan manufacturer in the UK and possibly the wider world then! As well as that having 2 RCDs in series is a waste of time.

Every site hook-up has a 30mA RCD and a 16A MCB
Just about every caravan that is wired for 230V has a 30mA RCD, a 10A MCB & a 6A MCB.

Mostly the MCBs are Type B but in the caravans 2 pole!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back