Valliant combi issues ??!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hopefully someone knows the answers to some of my questions,.

I have recently had a vallaint exclusive combi boiler fitted and the plumbing firm who installed it insist it is fine. My issues:

The hot water comes out 'misty' then after 30 seconds clears -is this normal. If not any idea as to why it is like that ?

My radiators are now very noisy (i'm pretty sure they werent before, but we just moved here) The system was power flushed when they installed they boiler but i get almost a banging ticking noise on heatup and cool down on some radiators (I have bled them). Its not the pipes as i have had the floor up and eased the joists from the pipes. It may also be worth noting the pressure supplies to the heating about 2.3bar - is this normal ??

Sorry for the questions !!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks kev. System is currently 'cold' and is 1.5 bar. So i guess thats correct then.

Its the heating thats really bugging me. Should it go up to 2.4bar when in central heating mode ? I'm curious as I think before the programmable stat was fitted it didnt seem to make as much noise. Is there a setting in the stat (VRC 430) to 'turn down' the pressure the central heating ?)

I.e could the VRC 430 be setup incorrectly ?

Also i have no TRV's fitted.

You should have TRVs fitted with a new boiler.

Without proper details of your system we cannot give you proper advice.

If its a normal size system the pressure should go from 1.5 up to about 1.8 when hot.

Going up so much implies the system is too large for the expansion vessel. It should not be over 80 li without an extra expansion vessel.

We have not heard the noise. A clicking is usually pipes under then floor which have not been spaced with felt when passing over joists. Does it make the noiler when boards up?

The hole in the floorboads for pipe to rad can also make that noise.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It is a three bedroom house with two bathrooms and an extension. A total of 11 radiators. I know i should have TRV's which i plan to fit at a later date so as to better regulate temperature (wasnt mentioned by the plumber but subsequently have found out i need them).

What more information can i give to help the diagnosis ? :)

Regarding the noise itself, it is there with the boards up and sounds like its coming from the return end of the radiator (near the bottom of the rad).

Just a thought could there be too much resistance within the system ? I.e the radiator valves are not open enough ?

Oh as well if the system was too large for the type of boiler if i shut off the rads (except say one) would you expect the pressure from the boiler to be lower ?

Thanks.

We have TRV4 on our radiators and were told it wasn't correct to have them on with our combi boiler.
Why are boilers so complicated :S

We have TRV4 on our radiators and were told it wasn't correct to have them on with our combi boiler.
Why are boilers so complicated :S

Trouble is, it maybe that the attending Vaillant engineer has not explained what he or she meant enough for you to fully understand what was "Actually" meant. As others have posted in your other thread, it is more likely they meant that you should not have TRVs on every radiator. Or otherwise you need to fit an auto bypass. Both of which I guess your original installer ought to have advised on and been aware of.

Last edited:
The ticking noise could be pipes that are tightly installed in notches expanding and contracting with heat. Is the banging when you turn taps in and off or just on the heating?

as said cloudy water could just be be aerated, is all of your pipe work work copper or a mixture
of materials ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back