Valliant Ecomax 824E Condensing Combination Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have had this boiler for 5-6 years now and have alot of problems with it.
Recently some my rads get hot even though the room thermostat is switched off. It seems to occur more when the hotwater us used, but rads are even hot in the middle of the night when no hotwater is being called for.
I have changed the waterflow switch but it has made no difference.
Any one any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flowswitch leaked on or diverter letting by or a combination of the two?

Need more info on what the boiler is doing just before & during the radiators heating up. What lights are on, is the pump running?

"""I have had this boiler for 5-6 years now and have a lot of problems with it."""

So much for Vailant boilers being very reliable then ???

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.
I have tried hotwater preheat turned off and it has worked
(at least the bedroom rads weren't running hot throughout the night).
Also the boiler isn't overrunning when using hotwater.
Re reliability of Valliant boiler-I am not impressed! Previous boiler (potterton) was never serviced in 15 years, couldn't be because a cupboard was biult around it-never had a single prob with it.
Since getting Val Ecomax in 1999, I have had numerous probs. Main prob initially was that no plumber/corgi engineer seemed to know anything about Valliant condensing boilers-that is how I got into trying to fix them myself.
Thanks again, the only thing to test now is the hotwater for my shower!!

I dont know how vailiant got this reputation for reliability !

I go to fix a lot of them.

Tony

Diverter valve on Turbomax and early Ecomax is one of the components which has done V's reputation vast damage. Not sure of the dates but they changed the design completely at some point. I expect it's a 252457 you'll need. You may as well get 2 because the current part, which is at least the 5fth attempt, is still giving us lots of replacement work.

The heat produced for the HW is "leaking" to the CH. If you put the HW on when the CH has been off, you'll feel the flow pipe getting hot, which it shouldn't (except for a small overrun at the end of HW demand)

Just been reading the replies above as I have the same problem. I am a retired plumber, not a heating engineer, so I have limited knowledge of boilers. My boiler is one of the above and I have been thinking of replacing it.
Any ideas guys please?
I have fitted several Ferroli boilers (not the gas I might add) and I had no come backs with them so I have been thinking of one of these. Any one got any REAL problems with Ferroli?

Is yours a 1999 ecomax? If so the problem will be the plate heat exchanger, the diverter valve rarely fails on these and even if it has it is 11 years old.

Best of luck with Ferroli

Just been reading the replies above as I have the same problem. I am a retired plumber, not a heating engineer, so I have limited knowledge of boilers. My boiler is one of the above and I have been thinking of replacing it.
Any ideas guys please?
I have fitted several Ferroli boilers (not the gas I might add) and I had no come backs with them so I have been thinking of one of these. Any one got any REAL problems with Ferroli?

Don't fit a Ferroli, they really don't have a very good reputation. If you're determined to scrap the Vaillant rather than fixing it, get an Intergas

Thanks for the replies guys.
So what sort of price am I looking at for the plate heat exchanger, and is it worth doing?
Not sure how old the boiler is as it was already installed in the house when bought.
Had an error message on the boiler last night stating it was low on water, or no water in boiler, but it is fully charged. So why would I get this error reading?

Look underneath the boiler at the data label. the s/no will start with 21, what are the next two numbers. AS i suspect you have the more recent one Also can you give us the full model no. There are three types - all will have different causes of your problem.

Otherwise post a pic pls (don't buy any parts yet)

Hi Beerlover,
Thanks for coming backs o fast.

The data label underneath reads:-

Serial No. 03003051700060084553

Service No. 94826190000010000004

Hope this helps.
Del.

Sounds like you have the down firing one. Does it have a hinged bottom cover (to the side) and a black plastic face with a lcd display?

And to confirm you have a problem with the radiators coming on when hot water is drawn.

Sorry about delayed reply, had to go and look at a job.

Hey Beerlover, Don't say your sorry for looking at work. When I worked for myself that was the most important thing of all. Now I have retired I find myself wishing I could go look at some and beef up my pension.

I don't think it is what you described. Have uploaded some pics. Hope this helps.

: //www.diynot.com/network/dj9244/albums/

I hope you get them if I have done it right.
Del.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back