Valliant Ecomax 824E Condensing Combination Boiler

Right, you have the latest and best version of it.

What exactly is the problem with it? Definitely repairable whatever it is.

Sponsored Links
Hi Beerlover, (again)
If it is of any help I have just switched the boiler back on after I noticed the boiler pressure was zero and recharged it. It fires up straight away when there is no demand for hot water or heating and the down pipe to the hall rad is getting warm.
I have also checked the stepping motor and it seems to be doing all the right things on the diverter valve.
Just can't understand it! :(

The work I have been doing to affect the boiler is to remove the pipes that feed cold water upstairs and the return hot water to the downstairs. They are hanging under the ceiling so were boxed and it looked unsightly. And all I have done so far is to drain the hot and cold, add some extension pipes in the lines to get them nearer the corner to keep the vertical boxing to a minimum, so cannot see why I am getting these problems.
I am wondering if it is something to do with the pressure vessel as I have not got the first idea what the vessel does.
Sorry to go on but if you know it all you might see where I have made a fopar!
Del.

Sorry missed your last post as I was typing.

The problem is what I have just mentioned in my previous post.
Also when I turn on demand for HW it is running cold to lukewarm. Have had some trouble for some time now with the hot water upstairs when I run a bath I have to crack the tap right down to a trickle to get hot water into the bath. It has been like this since I first came to live here with a lovely lady (my soul mate) who I met after my wife died.
I have tried to set it all up the way I remembered but not had a lot of success so any help is very much appreciated.
Cheers.

I don't know it all, but I can have an educated guess. It sounds like the diverter valve p/no 252457, is sitciking. Very easy diy change.

The vessel is an expansion vessel, when the system is drained, pump this up to 10 psi or 0.8 bar. You can also remove and clean the plate heatexchanger at the same time. Clean and grease the o rings when refitting. Another service item worth doing is the rubber hose (to the left of the main heat exchanger) and the pipes, get blocked on these and a worth removing and cleaning. Where the pipe joins the t piece at the bottom is a filter. This blocks and gives hot water problems, easily removed with a bottle cleanind brush. All in all should cost around £100 in parts and two hours of your time.

One more important thing, are the nuts on the main heat exchanger Nyloc type? It appears to have some heat damage and may need a new seal. This is not DIY I'm afraid as combustion checks need to be done afterwards.

At my prices (London), you could expect to pay no more than £220. You could call vaillant for instant cover @around £300 including all parts & 12 months warranty. I dont cover Wales - but it is definitely not a throw away boiler. I have a restyled version of yours and I'm expecting 15 years plus out of mine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all that.

I will work my way through the jobs you have outlined and get back to you next week some time as this weekend is a busy on from now on.

Many, many thanks for your help in this. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

Be happy and I will get back to you soon.
Del.

Hi Beerlover,
I have had the boiler running over the weekend with only one problem. I keep getting 'pump overrun' error message on the screen. Any ideas please?

Del.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back