Valliant F75 - no water outside - losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive googled as much as I can but am now looking for some advice from somebody thats knowledgable in this area.

My Valliant boiler as been showing the F75 error since we moved in about 6 months ago.

About once every 7-10 days I have to recharge/repressure the system.

From what I can see the system is losing pressure but there is no water outside at all from the discharge pipe.

Does this automatically mean a leak somewhere or could it be something else?

Im currently observing the gauges to see if the pressure climbs high before it drops.

Ive had the exp vessel repressured today by a British Gas engineer but it failed again after about 4 hours!!

Any help would be appreciated. Just trying to shortcut the fix time here. Not doing it myself but just trying to understand etc.

Thanks!
Lee

EDIT: Wanted to add that I repressurised the system after it failed today back to 1.5BAR. With the heating running its now reading 2.3. Is this too high?

Its quite a big house so maybe I need an additional exp.v?

My main concern is either way, whether the system is over pressurised and then dumping, or if the system is just losing pressure, shouldn't I see the water escaping outside? Does this suggest a leak even if I need another expv?

Sponsored Links
if your losing pressure you have a leak.

top up boiler to 2 bar shut off iso valves underneath boiler {turn off boiler as well}

leave over night, if pressure has gone down then you have a boiler issue, if not gone down open iso valves and if pressure goes down you have a leak on pipework or rads.

Paul

Thank you. I'll try that tonight.

The digital gauge is now ready 2.4. Is this night? 0.9 increase when running central heating?

Sponsored Links
3 separate systems:

11 downstairs
6 upstairs
2 towel rails

Currently running all 3 at once and boiler seems to be holding steady at 2.4, up from 1.5 cold.

If you only have the expansion vessel thats in the boiler then it is most likely undersized with that kind of load on the system, which will lead to premature failure of the vessel and excessive pressure in the system that can cause leaks elsewhere such as spindals on rad valves, auto air vents ect.

Did the british gas engineer drain the boiler and leave it open to atmosphere (drain off kept open) as he re-pressurised the vessel?

I believe so.

He attached a pipe under the boiler and drained off.

I remember him then starting the boiler up but quickly stopping and fastening the drain underneath. So suggests he pressurised with valve open...

I didnt pay that much attention unfortunately.

He's coming back tomorrow to have another look, hence this post. :)

If you only have the expansion vessel thats in the boiler then it is most likely undersized with that kind of load on the system, which will lead to premature failure of the vessel and excessive pressure in the system that can cause leaks elsewhere such as spindals on rad valves, auto air vents ect.

Did the british gas engineer drain the boiler and leave it open to atmosphere (drain off kept open) as he re-pressurised the vessel?

+1

Is this suggesting more than one problem here?

Presumably if I was to add another EV I would still have the issue of the system losing pressure?

Bottom line - if the system is losing pressure and there is no water being dumped outside - I have a leak in the house somewhere. Is that correct???

I just tried to shut off the valves under the boiler to do the overnight test as instructed above but unfortunately there is no permanent live to the display so I cant see the pressure, other than with the stupid little analogue gauge - which seems pretty useless to me...

I'd install an additional 10L expansion vessel on the return close to the boiler, make sure the boiler vessel is not pressurised over 1 bar, replace the pressure sensor, and get the boiler rewired correctly by a Gas Safe engineer who knows what he's doing!

Ill mention this to the British Gas guy thats coming round. We have homecare so dont really want to pay someone else if I can avoid it. Wouldnt know who to call anyway to be honest - it always feels like potluck if you get someone who knows their stuff or not.

If I replace all the above and add a new 10L ev, would that stop the pressure drops? Im guessing not.

Ill mention this to the British Gas guy thats coming round. We have homecare so dont really want to pay someone else if I can avoid it. Wouldnt know who to call anyway to be honest - it always feels like potluck if you get someone who knows their stuff or not.

If I replace all the above and add a new 10L ev, would that stop the pressure drops? Im guessing not.

Irrespective of the possible system leak, the vessel and wiring only bring the system up to standard as a minimum. The pressure sensor is a no brainier if you've been having F.75 problems and it's original. Did BG install the system?

I'm not 100% sure. I think so.

We've only been here since March this year.

I'll explain all this when he arrives later.

Thanks for your help!

Really it surprises me when a national Company's employees are not understanding the system and explaining it to the customers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back