Valspar or Dulux Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've found a colour I like in the B&Q Valspar range but having always used Dulux wondered what the quality/finish is like with Valspar? Any advice much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Not many alternatives could be worse than Dulux has become lately. Shame really, once a decent, reliable product I wouldn't touch with a bargepole now.

Sponsored Links
The Dulux retail stuff has always been drippy and unsatisfying to work with, but the Trade emulsion is generally OK, I find.

Both pale in comparison with Little Greene though - more expensive by volume, but contains more pigment and covers so much better.

I moved house back in October and had painted 2 rooms before going to b&q with the intention of buying some Dulux and found Valspar.

I thought id take a chance so picked a colour i liked and did the third room with it ... i was SO impressed with the ease of application, vibrancy of colour and fabulous finish that I've gone back and done the other 2 rooms again in Valspar.

The all in one 'super' Valspar paint & primer (with the gold label) covered up some old water stains in one coat that Dulux didn't do in 3.

I thought that Dulux was good (and compared to some other brands of paint, it is)

But compared to Valspar i think its overpriced junk!

I have an issue with valspapaint which I purchased from my local B&Q. On completing painting a room and allowing the paint to dry over night I removed the masking tape on the edges and a large section of Paint peeled away from the wall. I have used you dulux and Crown and even B&Q own brand successfully in the past and use the same method of masking the edges. The section of valsparpaint the came off had a skin like stretchy texture. Has any one else had these problems? If so what did Valsparpaint do. They told me this was normal...

[/i]

For future reference, paint first then hang wallpaper. No need to mask off at all then.

Yes painting first would have been ideal on the side of the room with wall paper. still need to use something around windows and doors.

Not ideal - that is the correct way to do it. No need for masking round windows and doors either, just a good brush and take your time. Cutting in that way often results in a more natural finish than the sharp line created by masking.

That maybe so, but that is still no explanation as to why the Valspar paint did not adhere to the wall. I usually use Masking tape and teh result are pretty good. I am a home DIY-er and have used that technique for years with various other paint brands and never had an elastic strip of paint peel away like that. btw the images posted above are all from the very first piece of masking tape I removed.

Also, you're far better off removing masking tape as soon as possible - you don't want to let the paint dry!

I quite agree. using masking tape can cause paint to stick to it and give slightly rough edges if left to dry as I did. But I don't think anyone would expect this quantity of paint to peel when removing masking tape, wet or dry.

As everyone else has said, masking tape isn't the ideal way to get a nice clean edge.

In the US (I've been learning lots about their paints lately), Valspar paint does have a bit of a reputation within the trade for being rubbery and peeling, like in your case, but it is usually the semi gloss version (our vinyl silk) that has the worst problems. This makes me wonder if it's silk that you have used?

That said, it usually boils down to the fact that the finish paint hasn't adhered to the underlying substrate for one of a number of reasons. After all, the silk emulsion is supposed to have a more rubbery consistency than the matt and satin versions.

Looking at your pictures, the white surface looks to be well adhered but is it a dry, powdery or greasy surface, or was it a mist coat that was still damp? As I mentioned above, there is usually a reason why the paint doesn't adhere and it could be for one of those reasons.

If its either of the matt or satin finishes then I'm surprised by how rubbery it appears. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back