Valspar paint really that bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We discovered at the weekend the B&Q no longer do dulux, so had a look at the valspar colour range.

I was unsure so left empty handed to go check out this company.

I've been reading reviews since, it's a mixed bag but with more bad than good!

Is this paint really that bad?
I've got a homebase nearby to get dulux, but I also heard that's a bit hit and miss these days too??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Valspar used to be a well known make back in the 60's but I haven't seen it around for years, I would guess the name has been "bought" to use on a range of paints perhaps by someone like B&Q. I would stick with Dulux myself and if possible give the diy sheds a miss find a local trade supplier (like Brewers or Dulux trade centres) and buy your paint from there, they can mix any of the Dulux (and many other makes) colours up in store. Trade paints are usually dearer than the shed "specials" but always consistent with good coverage.

Armstead (available at Brewers) are a much better bet, its cheap and actually really isn't a bad paint at all. Brewers own brand is Albany, also a good budget paint.

Sponsored Links
Yup! I have used Albany products in the past found them OK.

If you use the Valspar Premium for walls and ceilings it should be fine. It's a self priming emulsion so covers much better than the bog standard version. I used the Premium a few times before moving overseas and got excellent results, practically making a complete colour change in one coat. Valspar is still a much used and very popular paint here, but it does have a different formulation to the UK version(s).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back