Valspar premium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just been to b&q for paint and was advised to get valspar premium mixed paint as it is the best paint in the store, has anyone used this paint was it any good.

Sponsored Links
B&Q have got rid of the Dulux range in favour of the Valspar range. Apparently they fell out with Dulux.

The last jobs I did in the UK a few months back were all with the Valspar Premium (matt only) and I have to admit it was surprisingly good. You can usually expect to get an average finish with retail paints but the Valspar covered comfortably in two coats and left a perfectly smooth finish with no roller marks.

I can't speak for their lower range products but what I used was good and is more workable than the Dulux retail stuff.

502E988E-E704-4F4E-9F8C-340DD85B7296.jpeg
FC1D959F-727C-4D98-AD53-D10A61780597.jpeg

That’s where my relationship with Valspar ended

Sponsored Links
That's odd, I wonder if the walls were contaminated?

I've used Valspar and was very happy. I used it to paint some MDF shelves which were primed with Zinnser 123.

Everything previously painted fine and covered in two coats, I was on my third 5 litre tin and still had patches showing through,it was almost translucent. Valspar claimed their retailer should have advised to use a tinted primer,after purchasing the third tin of paint and explaining the poor coverage no one even mentioned a base coat.
Went from Classic to Premium and finally the most expensive Trade version ,which funnily enough seemed to be the worst coverage! After complaining to Valspar they gave me two vouchers for paint:unsure:
After wasting so much time on this I actually decided it looked like an 80’s Indian restaurant so peeled the whole lot off the walls……back to Dulux for me.

I used Dulux for a number of years on six rooms in my house. I went for it as my Dad had always used it and it's nice to work with (apart from the metal tin lids!)

We completed the extension early this year and could not find it, so had to go for Valspar. Very few problems with the quality and 'workability' but I did find it took three coats and didn't go as far as the Dulux stuff would. Nice plastic lids though!

I used Valspar for the only time about 3 years ago. The customer picked it up from B&Q.

Coverage was OK but I hated the texture that it left on the newly plastered walls. As I ran my hands over the finish, it was not as smooth as Dulux trade (or most other emulsions).

Personally, I hope not to use it again.

It was a very strange finish……..almost like silk ,not what I would consider Matt,what was odd when I peeled it all off a lot of the very patchy bits weren’t even over repairs.

My whole house was panted in it. It seemed alright. I used it in one room and I didn't rate it, having said that I'd say it's better than shed Dulux or crown. I've used Little Greene recently and found that a lot nicer, the intelligent emulsion stuff. Expensive though. I'm going eith crown trade clean extreme for the play rooms, hallway etc. Not used before.

Oh and Valspar smells different, smells like new trainers, or inflatable toys etc, if you know what I mean! Quite a nice smell, just a bit unusual!

I found I had to roll over cutting in quickly though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back