Valves under bath taps - removable?

B

bobdabuildarrr

I am looking at replacing my bathroom suite and I am doing an exploratory before attempting it all myself.

Under the bath its a mess. Looking at the age and run of the pipes, I would say its from the time the house was built. (its the original suite for sure) - say 10-12 years old.

The cold water (22mm) pipe rises out of the floor and terminates in a valve? (large, copper with two screw adjusters on it) before going into the tap. The hot pipe 15mm (original) has been bent flat to seal it, so it is no longer connected to anything. A separate 22mm pipe runs on top of the floor (but I am guess was added before the house was completed, as it runs behind some other boarding of the same age etc), and terminates in a valve (same as the cold pipe).

As for water pressure. I have a tank in the loft, but I am not entirely sure what it provides water too. The toilets and sink taps run direct from the mains.. (The toilets fill in about 3 seconds). Whenever I have done plumbing in the past, I have never had to empty the tank, so it is possible this was added for the power shower only. I will explore this further at the weekend.
I have a hot water tank (IE not a combi) which is slightly higher than the bath (same as most modern houses), so I guess when the house was built they found the hot water would only run at a decent rate in a 22mm pipe, or could there be some other reason?

So... heres the question.

What are the valves under the bath for. Can they be removed?
The taps I have got (from good old screwfix) say suitable for high and low pressure, so I am guessing they are ok.

Any advice would be welcome

Oh and its a Bryant built home, the pipework in this house is a mess.

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back