Van Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello People, I bought my van second hand some years ago and it's fitted with a Laserline SPA 270 Thatcham Alarm/Immobiliser. The van was broken into recently, tools nicked, the alarm didn't sound and there's no damage to the vehicle. According to the police there is a gang in this area whom are able open vehicles without damage and disarm the alarm,FFS.
The alarm in my van has always been cranky and now I want to change it "for a shotgun" but I really don't know what to get, it has to be Thatcham for insurance purposes, do I need to spend a fortune?,what makes are good? Ultimately I need an alarm that makes an absolute racket when it's set off.

My current alarm when it worked, was disabled when the van was opened using the central locking fob, to my mind if someone has a device that can open the locks then surely the opening of the locks by any means disables the alarm????

I've looked at Clifford, Cobra etc would I have to pay for the current alarm to be taken out before the new one is installed??

Thank you if you can assist

Sponsored Links
Alarm is good but proper high security locks on all doors are a good deterrent, it's a pain that you have to lock unlock each time you need a rawplug from the van but much more "grabber" and Screwdriver proof.
Had my van done a dozen years or so ago and lost £1400 worth of tools, I had an alarm but left it off outside my garage because I was taking the ladder off the roof (which always set it off) Mrs asked me to nip up the scaffold the pebbledashes had set up and take the box off the boiler flue so we could use it. 5 mins tops and the lock was screwdrivered and stuff gone!

Opinion please, the garage I took my van to have discovered that the current alarm is knackered which I knew! They have quoted £480 including vat to fit a basic Cobra Modular Alarm costing between £80 and £100, leaving £400 for the installation.
The chap I spoke with at the garage states he's an auto electrician not an alarm fitter, but I still think £400 fitting is steep, what do you think?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back