Vapor barrier over parapet and plastic thermal fixings

A vapour barrier is intended to stop water vapour (from air) and is not like a DPM which is intended to stop water moving through a material.

So its a waste of time putting a vapour barrier over a material such as a wall

Resutrix rep recommended it to go up a parapet as long as its primed. It seals the location better where the wall meets the roof is what they suggest which tbh woody, it does make sense. You'll understand if you've ever used it. But again, thank you for your input. It is well appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A sales rep? Yeah, I suppose he knows the principles of moisture transfer. :rolleyes:

A sales rep? Yeah, I suppose he knows the principles of moisture transfer. :rolleyes:

Woody I do know sales men could sell you anything. But think about this for a second. The vapor barrier is to stop all moisture from entering the roof space and to stop the hot air condensing, which creates issues that are very difficult to rectify! Osb is screwd or nailed to the firrings. An expansion gap is filled with insulated foam. 10-20mm is recommended depending on who you talk to. Now, if you put the VB all over the OSB roof area which stops at the blocks, and you don't up the parapet, would you not agree there a potential here for hot air to get into the parts of the roof your not wanting it to get too.

I do understand in theory everything is perfect, but on site, not so much! And if you've ever been on site, you should know this! What are we talking in materialsand labour, I already have primer and alutrix vapor barrier. The upstand on this roof is what, 80mm on one end and 150-200mm on the other(not exact because I forget these measurements just now). Disregard going over the cavity with the Alutrix, I now know this isn't needed! But to go up the face of the block to cover a potential air/vapor leak.

Would you not agree for all it is, its worth doing! Because if the VB is left at the base of the blocks, the amount of work needed to rectify this outweighs putting an excellent VB product on this area. Again, can I ask, have you actually used this alutrix VB. It is excellent and when used with the primer up the parapet (as suggested by resutrix tech support) you will know how well it rolls into the blocks and block hollows to create an excellent barrier.

I have worked in construction for 20 years. All I'm doing is trying to do the best I can't in certain details where it can get tricky if not done correct. What I've done will not cause issues. It eradicates them IMO.

And again, I respect your posts. I do see you are a committed member on here and I do thank you for your time taken to reply. It does help.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...PjQV6BAgCEAc&usg=AOvVaw0aRKSL0ZK9xpbe2lO9jppf

Screenshot_20210723-230506_YouTube~2.jpg
Screenshot_20210723-230421_YouTube~2.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back