Vapour barrier on dry lined wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dry lining a solid brick wall which has suffered from damp. It's been treated as has growths on, but all is now killed and penetrating damp will be cured.

I bought the thick black membrane to use a vapor barrier to stop any risk of damp ingress but I've just seen a thread which says it goes on the warm/inside side of the wall ie. between P/board and insulation. Is this right, I always thought it went on the solid wall first then studs, insulation and P/board on top??

Sponsored Links
No don't put it behind the insulation. Had you used foil backed plasterboard then you wouldn't need any polythene, it also doesn't need to be that thick about 300mu I seem to remember.
When you say a solid wall do you mean a double thickness (aka 1 brick deep) wall. As it's not common for these to suffer from penetrating damp. The most likely cause would be condensation or a leak somewhere.

If the wall is wet or damp a few coats of RIW or similar on the inside face of the wall usually does the job. Why post the beeb link? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Right, so it's studs onto wall, rigid insulation, then membrane then plasterboard? (the plasterboard with insulation stuck to it would mean loosing more of the room so I opted to set the rigid type 'into' the studs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back