Vapour barrier or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am laying some laminate flooring on to a suspended wooden ground floor living room which has a small concrete/ screeded area attached to the end of one side of the room. I've brought a vapour barrier sheet for this but wanted to know whether I should cover the entire room. My floor is double boarded with tongue and groove wooden boards on top of standard floorboards. When I lifted 20 year old laminates there appeared to be some light misting of mould but was very hard to tell. It is dry however. Chap at shop said vapour barrier would be needed all over to prevent condensation but I'm not sure. Appreciate any thoughts. I have enough of the roll to cover it so was planning to do his but thought I'd seek any other views, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I didn't really think of the liquid option but either way I am unsure of the rest of the room. Is it worth it? I already have the roll which won't be going back as I've already cut a section for elsewhere. Just worried about condensation.

The laminate is a barrier anyway over floorboards. I wouldnt put the barrier sheet over the floorboards.
what underlay do you have ?
do you have airflow under the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
I will be using fibreboard underlay which doesn't have any moisture barrier built in. Yes have airflow. The floorboards do seem slightly indifferent in places like warped and discoloured but dry

Just seeing if anyone has any further thoughts on this? Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back