Vapour control layer - electrical wiring in front or behind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finished insulating my stud work this weekend. It's 4" deep timber with 75mm Celotex between leaving a 1" gap in front for cables & k/o boxes. I plan to run the cables horizontally in the void on the room side of the Celotex, with notches in the front of the studs. I've installed some secondary noggins set back slightly for attaching k/o boxes to.

Because the Celotex is set back in the stud wall I can't easily tape the joints so want to fit a 500ga vapour control layer on the front of the stud.

Am I best installing the cabling first (i.e. behind the vapour control layer) or after. If I cable first, I'll be penetrating the VCL at the k/o box locations. If I cable on the room side of the VCL, I'll only be penetrating the VCL where I screw the k/o boxes to the noggins.

Also, when I fix the plasterboard, I'm going to be penetrating the VCL with all the dry wall screws in to the stud. Is this likely to be an issue?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back