Vapour Control Layer

Has it recently been built as it could just be condesation from the building drying out, we did one a year ago on top of an existing garage and the roof space looked like it had been hosed down it was that wet, took a while to dry out, but fine now !!

It was completed at the start of December, yet to be plastered but there was a fair amount of brickwork and 35m3 of screed floor. I'm hoping it will dry out, what would be a fair amount of "dry out time"

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a VCL could certainly help but you still need to deal with all the moist air in the room especially, if it is to become a kitchen.
How do you intend to deal with extraction when it is in use?

Also how long has this extension been built? As there will be a masdive amount of moisture released for the first few weeks as concrete/plaster/mortar drys out which could be causing your issues short term

Hi Ian,

There will be a kitchen extractor fitted, it was completed start of December and is yet to be plastered, I'm hoping that it will dry out as there is a fair amount of brick and block work with 35m2 of screed floor. What would you class as a reasonable dry out time. Its also been UFH since December

After a month, I wouldl expect most of the moisture to have gone.
With a mono pitch roof one of the issues you may have is the moist air rising to the high point and having no where to escape to
I would consider looking at some way to increase vetilation or air movement there..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back