Variable gap around bath, deeper than tiles will be.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I can't find clear references to this particular issue but I'm sure it's a common one. I have an acrylic bath which I've set onto battens under the lips, and I've put a vertical "clamping batten" under three corners as well.

The wall is slightly wavy so that the gap between it and the bath is 0-12mm, so in places rather more than the tiles will protrude and there I'd be left with no tile overlap onto the sill of the bath.

What is the procedure here, do I need some strip product to lay across the sill of the bath and against the wall, before tiling?

Sponsored Links
Best option is to chase the bath into the plaster 12mm or so.

Don't use the plastic strips - they will leak. As suggested, chase the bath back into the wall so that there is an overlap over the whole length, or board the wall. Mastic around the bath before tiling and after tiling and don't grout between the gap.

So this sort of thing is no good? http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/photo-g/tile-edge-trims-pvc-inside-corner-94882-3764073.jpg[img]

[QUOTE="footprints, post: 3138079"]Best option is to chase the bath into the plaster 12mm or so.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="squeaky, post: 3138086"]Don't use the plastic strips - they will leak. As suggested, chase the bath back into the wall so that there is an overlap over the whole length, or board the wall. Mastic around the bath before tiling and after tiling and don't grout between the gap.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*, yea - I guess that's going to be the best option. How do I restrain the bath into the chase? Currently I have a vertical batten reaching up into the the lip of the bath on the inside that I can tighten down and it hold the bath tight to the wall. The trouble is that it's no

Squeaky, you mention boarding the wall - with what, "cement board"? It would be attached to a plaster wall of some kind.

Sponsored Links
Most baths come with a couple of brackets that fit to the bath frame and then are set into the plaster and screwed to the wall, they will hold it back.

I do as you have and fit batten to the wall to support the bath edge I then put some splodges of silicone on the batten for the be to set into to reduce squeaking, when I am sure the fit is correct.

Most baths come with a couple of brackets that fit to the bath frame and then are set into the plaster and screwed to the wall, they will hold it back.

I do as you have and fit batten to the wall to support the bath edge I then put some splodges of silicone on the batten for the be to set into to reduce squeaking, when I am sure the fit is correct.

Yea, no brackets with this so I made up some wooden equivalents.

Also, the radius of the outer most edge, on the rim, seems quite large. So even where the wall and bath are tight there's probably a full tile + adhesive's depth before we get to the flat part of the bath rim. Know what I mean?

So this sort of thing is no good? http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/photo-g/tile-edge-trims-pvc-inside-corner-94882-3764073.jpg[img]

[QUOTE="footprints, post: 3138079"]Best option is to chase the bath into the plaster 12mm or so.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="squeaky, post: 3138086"]Don't use the plastic strips - they will leak. As suggested, chase the bath back into the wall so that there is an overlap over the whole length, or board the wall. Mastic around the bath before tiling and after tiling and don't grout between the gap.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*, yea - I guess that's going to be the best option. How do I restrain the bath into the chase? Currently I have a vertical batten reaching up into the the lip of the bath on the inside that I can tighten down and it hold the bath tight to the wall. The trouble is that it's no

Squeaky, you mention boarding the wall - with what, "cement board"? It would be attached to a plaster wall of some kind.[/QUOTE]

Yes, cement board/backer board. Don't forget also that the tile adhesive will help to bring the tiles forward. Joins should be covered with plasterers mesh tape using tile adhesive at the time of tiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back