bath gap - tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my bath before tiling, however the new bath is 25mm shorter than the other!!!

Is there anything I can do that will fill the gap and allow me to tile down onto the bath?? If I fill the gap with gripfill or similar this will mean I am tiling onto the filler is this ok or not recommended?

Sponsored Links
Fill the gap with plaster, let it go off, then tile on it, maybe apply pva prior to the new plaster & also rough the wall up a bit.

beatts - consider positioning the bath mid-way so you have a small gap (12mm) at each end. Tile down your wall then bridge the gaps with these:

bath edging tiles (or bevel strips) - B&Q and others do them in white or black. These are fixed, after the wall-tile adhesive has dried. Use white silicon to fix to the bath rim & wall, hold in position (to stop them slipping) with masking tape 'till the silicon dries.

You could, of course, use these to cover your single big gap at one end if you first fill the gap with a length of treated wooden batten, fixed to the wall.

Do you have the option of building the wall out at either side?
Why not see if you can get a longer bath?
I don't like seeing these little tiles bridging gaps - they're mould traps and places where leaks generally develop.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the useful info 'symptoms' much obliged!

However I think as gcol advised I might be better off building the end wall out. It is a little wider than the bath (150mm) and obviously upto the ceiling.

Do you think a single sheet of 25mm ply fastened to the already existing plasterboard wall would do the trick, screwed into the plasterboard perhaps, also with a bit of adhesive???

how best to do this,

I have a 25mm gap so how about 2 x 9mm sheets bonded to the original plasterboard with some sort of adhesive??

How about 2 @ 12.5mm sheets stuck together. "Sticks Like Sh*t", "No More Nails", two great adhesives made for the job. Either product would do it.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back