Variation in building work estimates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a downstairs toilet and utility room at the end of our kitchen on our Victorian terrace cottage. We are looking to extend the kitchen in to this area by getting the wall taken out, it's a supporting wall, and moving the soil pipe from the upstairs toilet as this effectively runs through the middle of what would be the extended area, this will mean digging up the floor etc.

We live down a fairly narrow lane with limited access, so you can't get a skip etc up there and would need to bag up the spoil and take it out in van etc.

We've had a few builders in to estimate the job and have had a few replies. The two builders who have responded so far have given greatly varying estimates, £3000 difference in fact. As far as we are able to ascertain (Rated People, My Builder etc) they both seem experienced, qualified and have good reviews.

We are not sure therefore how to account for this very great difference in estimates? Is one over-estimating or over-charging? Is the other under estimating to get the job and we are then going to be stung for a higher amount once the job is in progress? Is there any way to further check their bona fides and/or protect against unexpected additional costs?

Any ideas, advice would be much appreciated as this is the first time we have ever engaged someone to do anything this major / expensive before.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I personally wouldn't take any notice of good reviews/ratings of trades-persons on these type of sites. That is not to say they are not good quality reliable builders but don't count on it!
Ideally source your builder well, ideally by recommendation of someone known to you, where it possible to see the quality of the work.
Stick to the 3 quote rule, that will give you a good grounding on price.
As for variation in quotes, would be difficult to say, could be a whole host of reasons, but the main thing is getting someone you can rely on that can produce the standard of work you require, then it is really up to you whether you are happy with the quote.

Thank you for your quick replies.

No drawings etc done yet, trying to get a ball-park figure first because if it is out of budget then there's no point even bothering, though I take your point that at this stage it would be difficult to have an exact figure, just didn't expect it to vary quite so much.

We don't really have any local contacts so have found it rather difficult to find reliable tradesmen, until they've come in and done something. I must say both chaps were very professional in their approach and seemed perfectly happy to discuss all aspects and seemed open and honest (which doesn't necessarily mean they are any good, but they didn't look like they had anything to hind, unlike man number three!).

If it helps the two estimates were £3.5k and £6750. I think the first seems about right (maybe even a little low?) but the second seems steep even allowing for the various access issues, which the guy did say would add to cost as you be paying for someone to just lug bags of rubble away

Sponsored Links
If you have not got a detailed specification for the builders to price, then they are guessing and assuming, and so each may be correct in terms of what each builder thinks needs to be done.

Using unknown builders in this way is dangerous and potentially expensive. Pay someone to specify the work, not necessarily do drawings.

Also remember the difference to estimates and quotations

I'm inclined to agree with Woody and FMT - drawings or at least a spec would add some validity to the quote. But I'd say that i'd expect the price to e more than £3,500 from the small description you gave given us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back