Introducing the architect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having a "Lean to" done but the job is a bit messay as we have two drain inspection covers in the way. Our builder has been up and confirms we can have the bigger lean to we want and suggested moving the dtrain covers etc etc (along the line so not too complicated)

I need planning permission as the job will now be more than 14% of property size so he's recommended an architect to do the drawings for us.

So far so good but will the said architect charge us for the initial visit and assessment?

I just don't want to be tied into something when we haven't had the builders estimate for the work yet.

Many thanks

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
I need planning permission as the job will now be more than 14% of property size so he's recommended an architect to do the drawings for us.

Many thanks

Longshanks

What part of the country are you? There's no such rule in England and Wales.

Some will charge for an initial visit, some won't.

In any case, your builders estimate is a bit pointless as he will need to give a firm quote based on the designers specified drawings

I trust this guy. He's done very good work for friends and is no cowboy. He's quoted the 14% rule a few times so I thought it was kosher.

Incidentally it looks like our Lean to could be designated as an extension as he's going to put an extra toilet in. I guess that makes a difference as far as the PP goes

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a 14% rule, so he is quoting nonsense in that respect. And toilets have nothing to do with planning permission.

What you need to understand is that if the builder quotes for one thing (or more specifically certain materials) and then the designer specifies another, or if the designer specifies a certain method of construction, then the builders estimate is meaningless ... and it does not matter if you trust him or not, or if he is the best most honest builder in the world

Is the designer code for the architect in this context? I'm meeting the architect tomorrow and will ensure that the builder's estimate is based on his template.

Gracias y adios.

An Architect is an RIBA or ARB registered person. No one else can call themselves an Architect (normally to charge their fees) - its actually illegal to do so

Anyone can be a designer and draw plans, its a generic term, but the problem is that many people who draw plans can't actually design!

You'll be no good at Scrabble then - those are two words and not even hyphenated :rolleyes:

Edit:

And I need to check on the Landscape Architect title

I know a few town planners who are landscape architects. No degree in architechure needed.

Town planning/ human geography, It's like degree level colouring in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back