Building over drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Getting quotes for conservatory/lean to. Big problem is that we have two drain inspection covers which impede one of the dwarf brick wall for the lean to. Will provide piccies but there is some confusion as two builders have given different advice. (Should say that both are reputable and fully registered etc- so not cowboys)

First said that we could only have smaller lean to (3m times 3.5m) as necessary wall would have to go over drain cover etc. They were happy to seal etc but the problem was the wall.

The second said we could have the bigger lean to that we wanted. This involved building over the covers using concrete lintels for the walls. He would also be able to put downstairs loo etc in the additional space created which would be a Godsend to us. He's no cowboy and has done much work for people where I work and was highly recommended. He also promised to get someone up to clarify and confirm that it could be done. I'm not naive about planning permission and we discussed this in great detail but he convinced me that it could be done.

I'm not expecting specific architectural/legal advice but is it feasible, doable, viable to do waht he suggests without contravening every rule in the book.

Many thanks

L

Sponsored Links
and fully registered etc- so not cowboys)

Fully registered? There is no such thing - and definitely no guarantee that they wont do a bad job

but is it feasible, doable, viable to do waht he suggests without contravening every rule in the book.

In a word, no.

How are they going to seal the wall to the cover and still allow access to the manhole?

These two companies can't be that reputable if they are prepared to build over a manhole

Thanks

I understand that it happens even though it's not recommended and against building regs.

Seriously we really need the space and are willing to pay builder/Water company to move drain covers providing it's not mega mega expensive. Will upload some close ups tomorrow but from the piccies provided does it seem as though it will be that difficult? Is it likely we are the only ones in the cul de sac with two mothers like this or does everyone have em?

Cheers

Longshanks

Thanks

I understand that it happens even though it's not recommended and against building regs.

No, I don't think that it does. I've never ever heard of any builder proposing to build a wall which will be part of a house over a manhole lid.

You might see it on boundary walls with a lintel raised to enable the lid to be lifted off if required, but not a house wall

And I would be very dubious of any so called "builder" who proposes to do this

Sponsored Links
Thanks again but are you or anyone able to address the second part of the question. I.e from the size and position of the manhole covers how much it might cost/problematic to move etc etc.

We would be willing to go that extra to get the extra space we desperately need.

Thanks again

L

It depends on how deep the chamber is and how many connections there are, and if any pipes need to be moved

Probably easier to decrease size, so manhole is outside building or increase the size, so manhole is inside, then fit double sealed frame and lid, to finish level with the finish floor screed.
Normally the footings need to be below invert levels of drains.
I wouldnt advise to build over a manhole.

I thought manhole covers were no longer permitted inside a habitable building?

Probably easier to decrease size, so manhole is outside building or increase the size, so manhole is inside, then fit double sealed frame and lid, to finish level with the finish floor screed.
Normally the footings need to be below invert levels of drains.
I wouldnt advise to build over a manhole.

Thanks again

Have no intention of leting the builder build the wall over the manhole whatever he says. I can understand the point in decreasing the size to put manhole outside but how would increasing the size get the whole area inside?

From their position in relation to the planned brick wall I think it would be easier to move inside and do the seal. I've also contacted the Water Company for their advice.

Happy days :(

Hi again

Would just appreciate views on costs/feasibility of moving two inspection covers before I meet the builder tomorrow. I guess the Water Comapny have to give permission first. Is that right?

As wer'e having a conservatory as opposed to kitchen I also assume that Local Authority planning permission isn't needed.

Grateful for help received so far.

Longshanks

I was allowed by the planning officer to make a bigger extension for similar reason.
Have you spoken to planning?

I assume that your reference to the "Water Company" means that this is a public sewer. If so you will need a "build over agreement" and it is no guarantee that it will be agreed. I have just had to pay for a pipe to be replaced with malleable iron under my new extension.

Thanks

I have a feeling it's not a Public Sewer as the local Water company have desiganted these drains within our boubdary as Private Sewers

I'll also get in touch with Planning to see what they say.

Thanks again

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back