Building over drains / strip foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on how to go about the following.
I currently have a dilapidated lean-to, which I plan to take down and build a solid lean-to which will house a washing machine and tumble dryer and general items I do not want in the house. The problem I have is that the drains run right underneath where I am going to build.

Currently it is what I can only describe as a couple of inches of concrete placed over the top, I will be breaking all this up, and I have the idea of building a dwarf wall around the perimeter (dotted green line) then making up some timber frame sections and cladding with weatherboard/insulating and lining internally with ply.

I would like to put the dwarf wall on a standard strip foundation, but concerned about what I will need to do to prevent possible collapse of the drains (shown circled in light blue). This will be a very light weight structure, so maybe I am over engineering it slightly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ian

Sponsored Links
Bizarrely, if this was some sort of conservatory or something not requiring building control approval, then you can do what you like with the building over the drains

However if building control is required for the extension work, then you will heed to place proper footings and bridge over the drains

Depending on drain depth and ground conditions though, a normal strip foundation above the drains can sometimes be OK - but never acceptable to building control

Well I really hope this does not require BC, guess I'll have to give them a call.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to call them if the work can be kept of their remit

Is the sewer private? It appears to serve at least next door and may be a public sewer, in which case the sewer authority will be involved (and this can be a nightmare). Do a search for Building regulations H4, this will give all the info you require.

The drain serves 4 properties, mine is no2 in line, I will check out the building regs, but now thinking I may just put down another 4" slab with some threaded rod in and bolt down the timber sections, as oppose to a dwarf wall. As bricking up around the pipe and putting a lintel over seems way over kill and costly, for what is a glorified shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back