variation on wiring issue at ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have got a bit of a problem with what should have been a relatively simple light replacement. My friend had wanted a new light and her eldest had offered to do it for her (not the wisest idea). He came unstuck and gave up after he got a wallop from the light, so I offered to have a look. I was expecting the usual sort of arrangement as described in a lot of these threads but it seems slightly different. I have this at the ceiling rose as follows

Red
Black } this 3 core appears to come straight from fuse box
Earth

2 double insulated (grey outer red inner) single core cables

There are 2 light switches in the room, both are wired with red (1 way connection) & black (2 way connection) and then single core (as above) out of common.

The cables at the ceiling rose have no identifiers (if they did then they have been lost and eldest has memory failure on this point )

The new light fitting has a four terminal choc block (live,earth,neutral and loop)

I connected the 3 core cable to (taped the single core up and stored safely out of way) as red to live , earth to earth and black to neutral, switched mains back on and light comes on so as I figured above the red is straight mains?

I have now to work out out how the switches connect so that she can use the light switches instead of turning the mains on and off!

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated. If this wiring arrangement is mentioned elsewhere then apologies for repetition but i couldn't see a similar set up.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Connect the red from the consumer unit to one of the single reds (disconnect from the light fitting and connect them in a separate choc clock) then connect the other single red to the light fitting - job done!

He came unstuck and gave up after he got a wallop from the light,
Why the hell was he working on it with the circuit live? :rolleyes:

I was expecting the usual sort of arrangement as described in a lot of these threads but it seems slightly different. I have this at the ceiling rose as follows

Red
Black } this 3 core appears to come straight from fuse box
Earth

2 double insulated (grey outer red inner) single core cables
If you ignore the conductors going to subsequent light positions (as there aren't any in your case), you've got exactly what is shown for the Lounge Light in the very first drawing here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting-circuit-layouts

:confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back