Varilight dimmer get's stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Maybe I'm being dim but I'm having a really weird issue with a dimmer. I've changed it twice and also tried a different make. I've checked and had an electrician check the load and it's way onder. I currently have a varilight touch dimmer in place. I have six 12V GU10 lights on the circuit. If I touch the dimmer briefly to turn it on (as works on most other lights in the house) it comes on and then goes off. It then stays off until I turn the whole circuit off. On the other hand, if I touch it for over half a second and let it come on slowly, it works. I've contacted Varilight and after the first quite efficient response email, they haven't got back to me. Any thoughts? I'm guessing it's some sort of latent static but I really don't have a clue what to do. At the end of the day, it's really not that serious but it's just bugging me and I'd love it if anyone had any ideas.

Kind regards,
Alastair

Sponsored Links
You state GU10 lamps on a 12V supply, could you please clarify that the lamps are actually suitable for 12V as I would expect, GU10s to be 240V and GU5.3s/MR16s to be 12V.
Other thing would be to check whether the transformers are dimmable.

Transformers are not dimmable. Some switch mode power supplies are, need to check.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back