Varilight Remote Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

New member here and I am hoping you can help.

I have fitted dimmers before so thought I would give remote dimmers a whirl. Boy I wish I hadn't!!!

I have the Varilight Remote Dimmers (Master & Slave).

I have looked at the instructions in the pack, TLC and in various topics on these forums but I am still totally confused.

My living room light is currently controlled from 2 separate switches which are configured as follows:

switch 1

Red >>>> Common terminal
Red/blue>>>> 2 way terminal
Yellow/black (with red sheath) >>>> 1 way terminal

Switch 2

Red >>>> Common
Blue >>>> 2 Way
Yellow >>>> 1 way

Anyone any idea how I set up my remote dimmers on the basis of the current wiring above.

Here's what it says on TLC.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/TouchRemote.htm

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Branny

Sponsored Links
Hi & welcome to the site

From what I have read, your master needs to replace your switch 1

Red= live
Red Blue = S
Yellow Black = Load

Slave your switch 2

red = live
blue = S
yellow = Load

If anyone see's it diffent, please shout!

Hello there,

Thanks for the info above.

Wired up as stated and works, BUT....

When I come to switch the lights off, if these are on full power they immediately come back on. If they are on half power and I go to switch off, they stay off. Have tried 2 different masters with same result.

Any ideas as to why that would be the case?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Branny

TLC said:
a) Touch Control
To initialise the dimmer, touch the circular sensor on the front of the plate once for 2 seconds. The dimmer will respond by making the light(s) brighter. A single touch will now turn the light(s) on or off. To dim the lights, keep contact with the sensor until the desired light level is reached. While contact with the sensor is maintained, the brightness will cycle up and down. To change the direction of the dimming cycle remove contact and then touch the sensor again. When the brightness reaches the level you desire, remove contact with the sensor. If you have a 2- (or multi-) gang model you need to initialise each sensor in the same way.

If you just single touch the plates do they go off and on?

Sponsored Links
Hello

Yes, single touch produces above results, ie if half power then stay off, if full power come back on.

Any ideas?

Branny

No idea's from here, I've never used those dimers. I hope someone else can help

As this has not produced any replies, I would suggest you contact TLC for their advice. It's wired correctly so it would seem like another problem

Still wired incorrectly!

First can you confirm the following:

Switch1

The Red wire connected to the common terminal comes from the same cable as the blue & yellow wires (3core+earth), and that the remaining red & black (2core+earth) are from a separate cable.

If this is the case the 2core+earth cable is the switch cable going to the light fitting assuming the Red is live and the Black is the switch return, wire as follows

Switch 1 (Master)

Red (3core) + Red (2core)= live
Blue = S
Yellow Black = Load

Switch 2 (Slave)

red = live
blue = S
yellow = Load

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back