Varilight Remote Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to change my existing light switch to be a remote dimmer made by Varilight but when i looked at the instruction in B & Q it said something about using a slave switch any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Is this dimmer being used in a 1 way circuit?

If the answer is 'yes' then you don't have to worry about a slave unit.

You would purchase slave unit(s) if the master dimmer was going to be used in a 2 way or multi way circuit as that remote dimmer is not designed to work on a 2 way circuit with existing rocker switches. :)

So basically is there is only 1 switch in the room that turns the lights on and off I only need to have one switch?

I there is one switch on one side of the room and another on the other with one switch that turns the same light off then I need a slave is that right?

Sponsored Links
I there is one switch on one side of the room and another on the other with one switch that turns the same light off then I need a slave is that right?

Wrong
Masters and slaves are not standard dimmer units.

You would need 1 master dimmer AND 1 slave dimmer, in the above situation.

So for the above 2 way situation You would need to replace BOTH old switches for the dimmer to work

Only standard dimmers can be used with an existing 2way switch at the other location.

Slave units do not work on there own.

Master units will work on there own for 1 way lighting only or
used 2 way with a slave dimmer.

Standard dimmers can be used 1 way or
used 2 way in conjuction with a 2 way switch

So basically is there is only 1 switch in the room that turns the lights on and off I only need to have one switch?

I would suggest that the implication from the entire quote means that scifipaul understands the need for a master switch as well...... :D

Oh scifi....

If you had purchased that varilight dimmer from a good electrical wholesaler, you would get help and advice with your choices.....highly unlikely from an angst ridden surly B & Q teenager.... :LOL:

I would suggest that the implication from the entire quote means that scifipaul understands the need for a master switch as well...... :D

Maybe, but someone else reading that post might have two switches for 1 room, there have been many cases here where people have used a slave incorrectly without a master or tried in conjuction with a 2 way switch.
Im not disagreeing with you :)

Agreed. That one of the most important points!!!
You cant use one or the other alone!
Also if you need any advice, ask the workers at B&Q. I know they dont have the best customer service but usually the do have 1 or 2 staff that know the electrics :)

Also if you need any advice, ask the workers at B&Q. I know they dont have the best customer service but usually the do have 1 or 2 staff that know the electrics :)
Here comes one now....

bqanimws1.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back