Varnish, Sealer or Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the best protection for a garden shed made from C24 kiln dried timber. I was going to paint or seal it but someone suggested using Yacht Varnish instead. Is it any good, what would be the best to give long lasting protection?

Sponsored Links
For me, it would be one of the Sadolin timber protection products......absorbs well and really protects against the weather.
John :)

Morning John,

When I looked at Sadolin it was mostly wood stains they make and I discounted it because everywhere I looked it said

"Wood stain soaks into the wood, and is intended to change the color of the wood. It doesn’t offer any protection. Comparably, wood varnish is a protective coating that sits on top of wood, and acts as a barrier against water and dirt."

So I started looking at varnish and then yacht varnish.

Cheers, Andy

It doesn't have to change the colour, Sadolin extra durable Clearcote is one.
I have any visible timbers on my home protected this way, and it has been as good as it gets.......I'm no fan of any varnish as water does seem to creep underneath - and that includes restoring yachts too!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

Aah I see your point. You'll have to educate me, everywhere I've looked seems to suggest that yacht varnish is the way to go. Even Sadolin on their products page seems to suggest the same compared to their own yacht varnish. I don't mind using either, whichever will give the best long term protection.

Cheers, Andy

The only thing I can say is when a second or future coat of varnish is needed, it must be carefully sanded down to give a key - or it just peels back off again.
The Sadolin treatment tends to absorb much better when future coats are needed and requires much less pre treatment.
It’s your choice of course - but I haven’t found yacht varnish to be any better than other stuff, and that includes polyurethane formulas.
John

Decking oil, thicker than most wood oils but quick and easy to apply and re-apply.

I asked Sadolin which they would recommend - stain or varnish - and they replied neither as both these products are meant for doors, window frames, etc. Instead they recommended using their Barrettine Wood Preserver. Now I'm really confused, especially as the C24 timber is already treated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back