"Varnish" smell coming from the pump, boiler or ga

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just noticed a varnishy/ paint thinners type smell. We have narrowed it down to coming from the pump, boiler or gas fire. We had the heating, hot water and fire on, so all 3 items were running when we noticed the smell. They are fairly close together so it's hard to accurately identify the culprit. I plan to try a process of elimination tomorrow night, but do I need to be taking action now?

The boiler is a back-boiler, it has not been serviced in the 6 years that I have lived hear (sorry). It is a Baxi Bermuda 401 Boiler (GC 4407749) situated behind/ beneath the gas fire.

The pump is in a cupboard to the left of the fire/ boiler, I cannot see a name on it anywhere, but it is blue!!!

Can anyone offer me any advice on what the problem might be, and what precautions I should be taking?

Many thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks Gordon - duly noted! Lesson learned, and will get sorted, but is there anything I should do/ be worried about right now (just before bed time!)

Oh yeah, that'll be it. Why didn't I think of that before?

Nothing of the sort, why on earth would I gloss a hot water pump?!!!

The amount of times i've found melted crayons,plastic toys etc. when servicing a back boiler :!:

any gloss type paint when drying causes a very odd smell when a open flame type of appliance like yours is used,as it takes its air from the property , oh why didnt i think of that !!!, only offering advice mate

Thanks kevplumb. Is there anyway I can check if this is the case? Any precautions I should be taking?

DavidDaft - No kids here, just a troublesome cat! Have already checked for odorous wet patches!!!!

best precaution is to turn it off, as you don't know what the smell is. It may be that the smell is from fumes spilling from the fire or boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back