varnishing oak windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , ive got to varnish some Oak windows, just been made, ive tested various clear varnishes but all seem to yellow the wood, can anyone recomend one which would keep the original colour? thx

Sponsored Links
Whatever you put on the wood will change its colour. Even if it was colourless. I personally wouldnt use varnish anyway. Is it inside or outside?. once you have varnished to wood it is then sealed and difficult to change the finish later if required.

You won't get a non yellow varnish as you need yellow to block Ultra-violet from damaging the varnish binder.

Sponsored Links
Sikkens "Deal" would do ok. Its micro porus and wont tint the wood too much. This is suposed to be their clear coat but has a slight yellow tinge to it. On oak would be ok.

Hi, I cant agree with robie. Is not difficult at all to cover wood with varnish. Just 2 coats of undercoat and gloss or any other suitable paint.

Dario, i didnt mean it in that sense, i meant if you wanted to restain the woodwork its more difficult to do it properly if the wood has been sealed with varnish. Even if your going to paint it white after its not just a case of putting undercoat and gloss on. The varnish stops sunsequent coats from adhering and as such can make the paint chip off.

Hi guys, think we have gone off the original question here, i just wanted to know if i could varnish Oak windows so that they remain as original colour as possible. Thx

Wickes Professional Woodstain satin or gloss CLEAR
Microporous and a claimed 4 year protection.

Yes you can varnish the windows but must be prepared that when the varnish cracks etc the timber will soon dis colour and degrade. There are far better fishes on the market today

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back