Varnishing Without Darkening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just this past weekend sanded my living and dining-room floor boards and they looked fantastic after I had finished. I love their natural colour. However, every varnish I've tried (on test spots under where our couch goes) darkens the wood even those that say 'Crystal Clear Varnish'. I've tried both oil and water based and have used no stain what-so-ever. I'm at my wits end because I want them to stay their natural colour but also want to varnish them to protect them. Any advice, please? :(

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo Tracey5 and welcome :D :D :D

i am afraid the colour you have is only temporary, wood as it ages will tone down towards for lack of a better description"antique pine "colour :cry: :cry:

what you can do is use waterbased varnish as this does,nt yellow with age
even a wet finger rubbed on the wood will look like varnish until it dries

Thanks for the welcome :) Looks like this place will come in handy with all the house projects I'm doing!

So what you're saying is the colour of the wood after I varnish it with a water based varnish is only temporary? Do you mean that once the varnish dries my wood will be it's original colour?

Thanks big-all,
Tracey5

when you varnish the wood it will look like all the samples you have

so choose a water based one you like so it wont yellow[the oil in varnish and paints cause yellowing some long time later]

the wood i am afraid will just continue to darken as the daylight gets to it a bit like a sun tan realy

if you have anything made off wood say a panneled wall and you have cabinet or even clock covering the wood from new you will get a shadow where the item was

Sponsored Links
Well, have the varnish down --------- and it doesn't look awful ;)

Thanks for your help!

Tracey5 said:
Well, have the varnish down --------- and it doesn't look awful ;)

Thanks for your help!

glad you where please with the end finnish :D :D :D ;)

just remember over the comming months and years the wood will darken but thats the carricter off the wood comming through ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back