Vaulted ceiling

Not sure.. ill measure later, but they are well within those shown in document A

Sponsored Links
Your council still has structural engineers? Amazing.....
I believe that if you engage your own SE (proper one with all the professional memberships and indemnities) and they can justify your design with calcs then BCO has no option but to accept...

Sponsored Links
The problem i have is that the wall is built to wall plate level and this was a very late in the day idea. It is only viable if its simply a case of using scissor trusses over finks. Anything more complex, and I'm going to scrap the idea.

The problem i have is that the wall is built to wall plate level and this was a very late in the day idea. It is only viable if its simply a case of using scissor trusses over finks. Anything more complex, and I'm going to scrap the idea.
If you have woodwork skill, a decent compound saw and a good grasp of maths then build your own.:)

Not sure.. ill measure later, but they are well within those shown in document A
I would be inclined to steer the BC to BS5628 -3 Clause 5.2 Design for Stability, which is a spin off from clause 32.1 in BS5628-1 which basically says this is an empirical guidance on certain wall shapes and conditions that can be used in building regs thus negating the need for calculations. Whether it is appropriate to your structure is dependent on certain conditions relating to the area of the wall, type of wall and location within the country. BS 5628-3 can be googled and downloaded. I have copied the pertinent clause (Table 9 and Fig. 1 is what you really need to see)

5.2.3.2.1 Maximum areas of walls
The design of walls with edge restraint which are subject to wind loads should be in accordance with the
recommendations of BS 5628-1. However, certain rectangular walls and gables in buildings up to and
including four storeys high may be proportioned as in Table 9, subject to the following conditions.
a) The walls should be in buildings no higher than four storeys, situated in the wind zones shown in
Figure 1.
NOTE The effective thickness of the wall will be reduced by chases and/or recessed joints.
b) The walls should be free from any doors, windows or other openings, unless either:
— intermediate supports are provided, such as those shown in Figure 2a); or
— the total area of such openings is not greater than 10 % of the appropriate maximum area given in
Table 9, or 25 % of the actual area of the wall, whichever is the less, and no opening is less than half
its maximum dimension from the edge of the wall, other than its base, or from any other opening
[see Figure 2b)].
c) In a single-leaf, collar-jointed or grouted reinforced cavity wall, the distance between the supports
should be not more than 40 times the total thickness of the wall.
d) Interaction with other walls, columns, floors, roofs or structural elements.
e) In a cavity wall:
— the distance between supports should be not more than 30 times the total thickness of the masonry
in the wall;
— the thickness of each leaf should be not less than 100 mm, excluding plaster or render;
— the cavity width should be not more than 100 mm;
— wall ties should be spaced in accordance with 5.3.5 and A.5.4.2.
f) Pitched-gable ends which have support at the top (see 5.3.3) should be regarded as equivalent to a
rectangular area the height of which is measured to half way up the triangular portion [see Figure 2c)].
Three- or four-sided support should be assumed as appropriate.
g) Mortar should not be weaker than Designation (iii) (see Table 14).

Doc A is just a rehash of the above in a simpler form without the need to refer to areas and specific diagrams given in BS 5628

Last edited:
A result. The Building Control Officer has agreed it...... provided the apex of the ceiling doesn't exceed 3.36 meters and the ceiling is strapped to the gable wall in addition to the roof line.

A result. The Building Control Officer has agreed it...... provided the apex of the ceiling doesn't exceed 3.36 meters and the ceiling is strapped to the gable wall in addition to the roof line.
Think he is flexing his muscles re strapping the ceiling but as you say its a result and helps you move forward.

Hes been really good to be fair - felt like he was trying his best to get it passed the structural engineers. Either way..... its going ahead now. Thanks to all who helped on this thread. Just gotta do it now... and work out how to insulate it.

Hes been really good to be fair - felt like he was trying his best to get it passed the structural engineers. Either way..... its going ahead now. Thanks to all who helped on this thread. Just gotta do it now... and work out how to insulate it.
As an aside you say the gable wall is already built so strapping the ceiling in in accordance with dia 16 of the Doc A will not be possible, I assume the BC is allowing you to screw fix into the brickwork, not that it matters because the straps aren't required anyway

From memory, my mates was 100mm infill if the bottom chord of the trusses and 60mm (celotex) overboard Then plasterboard. Ventilation at eaves and ridge, also air vent in both gable sides.

well done on getting the go ahead. (y)

As an aside you say the gable wall is already built so strapping the ceiling in in accordance with dia 16 of the Doc A will not be possible, I assume the BC is allowing you to screw fix into the brickwork, not that it matters because the straps aren't required anyway

No, sorry, its only built to wall plate height so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back