Vauxhall 1.3 CDTi won't start

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I seem to be hearing more and more stories of immobilisers that go wrong making vehicles impossible to start. I'm wondering if someone has tried to break into my van and has damaged the immobiliser. It spins over OK but there seems to be no fuel getting to the injectors. The central locking still works OK so I think the key must be the correct one but it is now very difficult to turn the key in the ignition or the door lock. Do you think it is possible that these problems are the result of an attempted theft? The van was on loan to a friend when it went wrong but the problem with the key had been present for a few months before the starting fault arose.

Sponsored Links
You don't say what car it is, but the non-starting issue would typically be accompanied by a flashing spanner light. I would therefore suspect something a little more basic like a sticking relay.

Of the door lock problem, it sounds to me like a worn key or locks. If you've got a spare try that, else have a new one cut. Also put some light oil in the locks to see if that helps free them up.

The engine management/immobiliser warning lamp glows continuously so it looks like it's not the immobiliser shutting it down. Actually the instrument panel has been haywire for some time, so there is some kind of earthing or wiring fault with that. The airbag light glows faintly when the ignition is off. I did take the instrument panel out and look for loose wires etc but there was nothing obvious. I may end up scrapping the van but I would like to find out what's wrong, even just so I know which parts I can sell as working. It is a 2004 Combo van.

Sponsored Links
The continuous spanner light indicates a fault is stored, yohu need to get that read to start diagnosing the problem.

Usually for an immobiliser fault, the light with flash when you try to start it and the starter motor will not turn.

Back