Vauxhall Astra 2.2 Timing Chain Failure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend of mine owns an 2.2 Astra with the twin cam engine that's fitted with a timing chain. Like me he thought timing chains were more reliable then belts until the chain snapped without warning as he pulled off his drive writing off the engine. There were no rattles or anything like the old timing chains used to make when on their last legs. Has anyone else heard of this problem with Astras or is it a one off.

Sponsored Links
Hutty, you might find it useful to look at this site: Honest John Just select the model you are interested in. Click on the car-by-car breakdown. I have re-edited the original post as it gave some misleading info.

Must say that I agree with your preference for chains over belts as does HJ, but from his comments here perhaps the Astra is the exception to the rule. :cry:

Friend of mine owns an 2.2 Astra with the twin cam engine that's fitted with a timing chain. Like me he thought timing chains were more reliable then belts until the chain snapped without warning as he pulled off his drive writing off the engine. There were no rattles or anything like the old timing chains used to make when on their last legs. Has anyone else heard of this problem with Astras or is it a one off.
hi hutty, i see this thred was posted sum 2 years ago now but to keep you updated, i own an astra 2.2 on a 04 plate, sum 2 days ago my car developed a slight rattle which my local garage identified as the timing chain worn! onlty the 2 day after the rattle was first heard the timing chain snapped on me which has resulted in a replacement enginge! i have noe learned this is a common fault on the 2.2 so be aware!

Sponsored Links
As some manufacturers revert back to the timing chain, you would think that its one item that could be forgotten about....unfortunately not the case! The Vauxhall is prone to this, as is the VW VR6 engine (which has the timing chains at the other end of the block, next to the gearbox so replacing them is an engine and box out job....several Nissans (Primera and Almera particularly) are prone to chain stretch to the effect that sensors and pick ups don't align. No manufacturer is admitting to a design fault naturally, but it seems to be one area where a recommended oil viscosity and quality is absolutely essential. :)

Back