VW Polo and timing chain issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been to a car auction and saw a 10 plate 1.2 one with 59k on the clock that went for £3,650. Looked good and engine, clutch were fine.

What put me off was looking online and found owners were having problems with timing chains/ tensioners failing without warning on 1.2 engines around 10 plates., despite servicing. Seeing as they're supposed to last the car out. Or 120,I000 miles anyway.

Are they still worth considering?

Sponsored Links
They have a history of popping head gaskets too - not to mention the gearbox with plastic bearing parts :eek: I don't know which actual models are affected - or what VW were doing when they created this one.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell.. Thought our German neighbours had a reputation for quality.
Quite like the look of them but not so sure on reliability.

For sure, I can't comment on which models were affected, but I have experienced head gasket issues and gearbox failures which I thought were very poor.
Of course, lots of these cars were bought on PCP's so the first keepers weren't affected, and the cars were then sold into the trade.
Maybe Honest John could enlighten you further....but I'd look upon them with suspicion - a new timing chain at 50k is just ridiculous.
John :)

Thanks again burnerman, will have a look.
I was looking at the " best small used cars" for some inspiration.

Was thinking of timing chains , but if not maintained properly (evrn checking oil levels regular) seems more of a liability

Sponsored Links
Back