vauxhall combo 1994 cold start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
94 1.7 combo takes ages to start on cold mornings, glow plugs ok , fuel clean, :?: :!: :?: and battery new any help appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
If the glow plugs are fine (how did you check them) then change the fuel filter and have the injectors cleaned.

:) i measured the plugs to earth 1.0 ohm each, the fuel filters new . to clean the injectors what do i do :?: thanks

A bottle of injector cleaner in the fuel tank and a good 5 mile drive @ 70 mph will help to clean injectors. Are you getting excess smoke from the exhaust ?

;)

Sponsored Links
If after initial start up the motor runs ok,I would suspect air being drawn in to the fuel line delaying the start,copper washers on filter banjo unions are prime suspect.
Best way to test glow plugs is to remove them,resistance across a removed plug is 0.4 ohm.You can also connect up briefly to the battery and see the glow.
With glow plugs in,connect a voltmeter to earth and the glow plug terminal.
Set the meter so you can see it,switch to posn 2,you should see voltage for a minimum of 3.5 seconds while the glow plug light is on and a further 3.5 secs after it goes out.If this doesn't happen,the glow plug relay or fuse can be faulty.
Just another thought,the valve clearances are adjustable with shims,as it's a 94 and perhaps a 100,000 miler,you may have a tight tappet or two,losing compression.

Thanks all i`ll get back when i`ve tried your suggestions, cheers.

The washers mentioned, what size are they so i can get them first :?:

Another thpught the engine struggles to go above 65 when warm :!:

If you are not getting excess smoke and you have not had any unions undone.You should check the valve clearances as suggested by yes2mud,I have found this on more than one occasion.
Clearances are:- Inlet 0.15mm Exhaust 0.25mm
I assume you have checked the air filter !
;)

maxmax said:
The washers mentioned, what size are they so i can get them first :?:

Oh gawd,I don't know which you need.I regularly use two sizes,most common is 12mm ID,and 17mm OD. The other is 14mm ID and 20mm OD.
I mentioned this in case the problem arose after doing the filter.I usually fill the new filter with diesel through the union hole.I have known astra's etc to just run out of fuel due to a slightly imperfect copper washer.

Thanks, i`ll try the washers tomoz and let you know how i get on, cheers

OK maxmax,good luck with it. You still haven't actually said if the start up and poor performance came on before or after the fuel filter change.
If after,then I would be confident of an air leak somewhere,if before then as long as the air filter is clean,I think jonnyfishing and myself agree on tight tappets.It's the sort of thing that creeps up gradually.

it must be the tappets cos i`ve done the washers and no better, is it a big job?

Not if you know and understand what you are doing. Best thing you can do is obtain the Haynes Manual, read the relevant chapter and decide for yourself if you feel confident enough to do it. If you decide to have a go use the manual and this forum, take your time and you should be ok.

Have you measured the clearances yet ?? You will need to write down and record them in order i.e. valves 1 to 8.

;)

Thanks , i`ll do it over the weekend, any problems and i will definetly be in touch cheers

Sponsored Links
Back